Most Affordable Place To Stay In Belize For One Person?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would like to go to Belize one day to dive the Blue Hole and the other better dive sites around Lighthouse and outer reefs. Where would be the most affordable place to stay in Belize if I was to go myself? I'm flexible to stay at a resort and pay a single supplement or stay at a condo/apartment or even room in a house but would like the best pricing option. I'm also willing to stay in the Amberigis area even if it's further to the outer reefs and the Blue Hole if the accommodations for one person is significantly lower and put up with the longer boat rides out to the better diving as long as there's a fairly good chance that these trips will run, ie. usually have enough divers booked to warrant the trips.

The outer atoll resorts are going to be big buck$. One can argue whether or not they are worth it but you're best pricing option is going to be Ambergris Caye and possibly Caye Caulker. You'll just have to get online and build the prices for various places. When I build group trips I usually create a spreadsheet so I can track all the options.

Blue Hole Day trip from Ambergris Caye costs around $260 usd. So figure that into pricing that you do. I've always enjoyed the day trip aboard Amigos del Mar's big boat but it is a very long day.

@Stoo really likes Huracan Resort out at the Cayes and I'm sure it's a bit more affordable than Turneffe. No Aircon though.

I'm much more familiar with accommodations on Ambergris Caye (many) and a couple or 3 on Caye Caulker.

What kind of atmosphere or access do you want?

Most rooms are a flat rate whether single or two people staying.

Blue Hole Day trip from Ambergris Caye costs around $260 usd. So figure that into pricing that you do. I've always enjoyed the day trip aboard Amigos del Mar's big boat but it is a very long day.

Atoll resorts surcharge for Blue Hole too. Turneffe wants $200.

I would like to go to Belize one day to dive the Blue Hole and the other better dive sites around Lighthouse and outer reefs. Where would be the most affordable place to stay in Belize if I was to go myself? I'm flexible to stay at a resort and pay a single supplement or stay at a condo/apartment or even room in a house but would like the best pricing option. I'm also willing to stay in the Amberigis area even if it's further to the outer reefs and the Blue Hole if the accommodations for one person is significantly lower and put up with the longer boat rides out to the better diving as long as there's a fairly good chance that these trips will run, ie. usually have enough divers booked to warrant the trips.
Forget the BH and spend some time with ReefCI.

On Blue Hole surcharge, read the many threads here on if it is worth the nitrogen loading or not.

I stayed on Ambergris. We were blown out by the weather and just did local dives. I really enjoyed Ambergris and the bit of local divining I did. I planned to skip the Blue Hole itself, see above, but realized the Blue Hole boat may be the only reliable way to get out to the highly reviewed atol diving, just with the Blue Hole itself as a time on deck before the cool other sites. My, non-atol dived, 2psi.

My trip report: Trip report - Ambergris Caye, White Sands - April 2017

@Stoo really likes Hurrican Resort out at the Cayes and I'm sure it's a bit more affordable than Turneffe. No Aircon though.

I'm much more familiar with accommodations on Ambergris Caye (many) and a couple or 3 on Caye Caulker.

What kind of atmosphere or access do you want?

Most rooms are a flat rate whether single or two people staying.

The flat rate on Amberigis is really good to know - thanks. So I would think that staying close to a dive shop that has fairly reliable trips out to Blue Hole and outer reefs would be a good option for me.

I spend a couple weeks every year on Caye Caulker and I highly recommend Colinda Cabanas. You can get a very nice cabana with ac for $75.
BDS has the biggest and nicest boats and it's about $280 for the blue hole trip. That's about a10 hour day with 3 tanks.

The flat rate on Amberigis is really good to know - thanks. So I would think that staying close to a dive shop that has fairly reliable trips out to Blue Hole and outer reefs would be a good option for me.

That's right in the centre of San Pedro town. I admit, that I like it there but island ambience is in kinda short supply, lol.

What's your budget and when are you going? I've got the perfect place for you but it runs around $135/night. Lower depends on offseason and higher at Xmas and perhaps US Thanksgiving.

Back
Top Bottom