Morro Bay Shipwrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerryn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anyone know anything about shipwrecks in Morro Bay area or the Nippon Maru? Are there charter boats that will take you out to the wrecks?

Jerry

I live just south of Morro Bay, and I've never heard of any SCUBA charters around here.

People occasionally do drift dives in Morro Bay Harbor, and they've had visibility up to fifteen to twenty feet at times.

Most people around here dive out of Santa Barbara, Ventura, and Monterrey.

If there is any desent diving around here, I'd love to hear about it. Personally, I've always encountered poor visibility.

Well there is a sunken small boat in the bay that is pretty easy to find. Diving in the bay is hit and miss as far as visibility. The best time to dive the bay is during high slack tide as the current can really get moving during tide change.

Spooners cove in montana de oro can be a great dive if you can dive there during good conditions which dont seem to be too often. Would be a great kayak dive spot to get out towards the mouth of the cove for better vis.

Leffingwell landing in Cambria is also another good kayak dive spot out towards the wash rock. I have not personally dove spooners or leffingwell landing in a year or so since i sold my kayak and kind of regret it now.

There was a dive shop located in morro bay until just recently named Larrys dive and sport but he located down south in baja a few months ago so that leaves the dive shop in atascadero and san luis obispo.

The California Shipwreck Data Base lists a number of wrecks off the mid coast including the Harlach Castle, Sierra Nevada, Electra, Golden Eagle and Adams. Are they no longer there or not interesting enough to dive?

Jerry

jerryn:
Does anyone know anything about shipwrecks in Morro Bay area or the Nippon Maru? Are there charter boats that will take you out to the wrecks?

Jerry

Hi jerry I can take out only experinced diver. I have a 25foot dive boat which is used exclusivly for diving. normally you would have to know someone who dive that know me to here about it. how many dive do you have logged and are you comfortable diving past 60feet? Let me know a little info and I will let you know if I can take you out. my boat is located in the morro bay harbor.

I dive morro bay more than anywhere. The diving around here is great just need to know where to go and a you need a way to get out there. The viz here is as good or better than monterey, 20 on a normal day up to 100' on perfect days. So many people dont know where to dive around here it makes me laugh. They end up driving hours. I can do spectacular dive in 3-4 hours, so I can leave my house 12:00 and be back here for a nap at 4:00. lol. Whats my secret? you have to get offshore and dive seamounts, pinacles in deep water. beach dives wont work around here. as for ship wrecks there are none marked on the charts around here. there is old oil tanker up by san simeone but it is in about 500-600 feet of water.

Yeah but i dont have to drive 2 hours there and 2 back. Lots of monterey sites are dove by the cattle boats. I can dive sites that have not been touched for the last 15 years. To me it just makes since to dive right in my back yard. matter of fact I am going out tomarrow and will let you guys know how the viz iz. I will take my viz meter with me tomarow to and tell how many feet we get.

I didn't say that Morro Bay was wrong for you, just that the vis in Monterey
was better than you said.

There's a selection of offshore sites in Monterey that the charter boats don't get to very often.

And I would call any of the Monterey Charter boats a "cattle boat". They are all decent
operations.

I know you didnt say that I was just saying that the diving around here is just as good. not many people know it. most of them do beach dives and I respect that they are at least diving. I call any boat with a bunch of people on a cattle boat. I am sure they run good dive ops. But they are cattle boats meaning they have alot of people on them. You should try diving on boat with only 2 people and tons of deck space. makes things so much easier.

The viz today was good though 30 to 40 foot range and pulled off a coulple of good shots. some macro some wide angle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom