Morrison Springs FYI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well,...Ponce De Leon is not diveable and diving is not allowed. It's just a small shallow swim hole.

the point is ,..Vortex had 10,000 people ther over the weekend,..If the average spent was $50 that's a half Mil, why sell?

SuPrBuGmAn:
I hear you can snorkel it with as much fullfillment.

[sarcasm] It would be perfect for MDB then.. :D [/sarcasm]

ScubaKris:
the point is ,..Vortex had 10,000 people ther over the weekend,..If the average spent was $50 that's a half Mil, why sell?

Maybe Vortex had 10,000 visitors over the 4-5 day Holiday weekend, but that doesn't mean they are all or majority divers (which pay $32). Most are swimmers (which pay $6.50).

Connie has told me that as soon as the water in the Gulf warms up, the number of divers there goes down greatly except for training classes. Their busiest time is in the early spring because the water temps in the gulf are still cold. She told me she didn't much enjoy the large swimmer crowd.

But 10,000 x $6.50 is still a lot of pocket change for the weekend. With camping, divers, store sales, gear rental, etc., I'm sure its was a nice profitable weekend for them. But I also bet they were worn out dead afterwards trying to manage it and clean up after it.

I would still bet they are getting 200+ divers a day over there on current weekends.

I used $50 just as a little number. It is not uncommon to get over 500 divers there a day on good weekends even when the Gulf is perfect. Most are shosp, classes, checkout 3 dive a year guys, people on vacation , campers etc. A lot spend $6.50 plus , plus, plus, drinks, hot dogs etc. The divers go crazy, often spending $200 each, they buy entrance, air fills, t-shirts, beer, etc.

During the summer you will find it hard pressed to even find parking at Ponce De Leon springs, standing room only in the spring,

I was going out yesterday and at 4 :15 P.M., 16:15 for military types, those in the Air Force when the little hand is oon the 4 and the ,.......

I will get in the water in a couple three hours probable night dive tonight

ScubaKris:
I used $50 just as a little number. It is not uncommon to get over 500 divers there a day on good weekends even when the Gulf is perfect. Most are shosp, classes, checkout 3 dive a year guys, people on vacation , campers etc. A lot spend $6.50 plus , plus, plus, drinks, hot dogs etc. The divers go crazy, often spending $200 each, they buy entrance, air fills, t-shirts, beer, etc.

During the summer you will find it hard pressed to even find parking at Ponce De Leon springs, standing room only in the spring,

I think your number of $50/diver could be a good estimate for those diving. Like you said, they spend money on lots of stuff there.

For Ponce de Leon springs, is that "public land" and free use or pay use? (or state park)?

yeah, I think they hit you up for about 2 bucks. As I remember it, it is a glorified swimming pool. They had the entire shoreline encased in concrete. At least, that is the image I seem to recall. It has been about 12 years since I had been there last.

*added*

heck, maybe I will swing by there, take some pictures, since it seems to be such a topic of interest...

Your description of the PDL spring is pretty accurate. It's a roughly circular area with a concrete rim. There are trails along a creek that you can walk and picnic facilities but, still, no diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom