Morrison Springs FYI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aries52:
I met with Commissioner Brannon last week. We discussed several issues, including access. I gathered that they are moving the boat ramp away from the beach and, ultimately, there will be no driving to the beach area. I don't know how far away parking will be yet. I, too, am on the committee and am not only a diver but also a scientific consultant. I live about 10 - 15 minutes away from the spring and have been diving, fishing, camping, etc. there since the late 1950s. The problems to which the article referred are by no means new. Also, it is primarily locals and not visiting divers who cause them (being local myself, this is particularly disturbing). I believe the committee will meet again soon and I will be happy to notify everyone when that is planned and what is discussed. Have faith.

Thanks for the information and keeping divers best interests involvedin the comittee. Send a PM to SeaYoda, he might be involved in the comittee (if you don't already know him).

FYI, I understand that all or part of Vortex was sold to developers a few months back. They are planning to build condos on the property. I don't know how that will affect the rest of the operation. I did see in another post that they have jacked the price to $32.00. Ouch!!

Really? interesting... I know some people just "love" Vortex, but I can't see anyone buying a condo there just so they'll have a place to crash when they go diving there, but I'm sure some will.

That place can get pretty rowdy also... again it's the locals that they have the problems with, not the divers. Connie told me early this past spring that this was her favorite time of year there because it wasn't warm enough for the "swimmers" to start coming yet. She said that as soon as the water in the gulf got warm enough (warmer than the spring), that most divers would migrate there and most of their customers would be the "local swimmers" which always caused problems.

Their $32 entrance fee is a little high in my opinion. For another $40 bucks I can do a boat dive in the gulf or for free I can go to Morrison down the road.

mike_s:
That place can get pretty rowdy also... again it's the locals that they have the problems with, not the divers.

*update*

Last night while at Morrison (yes, I did dive, someone else snorkeled though) I met Gary. Gary works at Vortex, and should be easy to recognize, he looks like a cross between Willie Nelson and Garfield (the image helps me remember his name.... GARy, GARfield), because of his orange and white beard and long hair.

Anyways, Vortex has hired him as security on site. He will be working weekends and hollidays, and has been busy kicking roudy visitors out. (I tried to warn him about Votoborfest. Maybe he will go a little easy on us if we say hi first......) Even told me a story about some drunks shooting fireworks into the water at a diver. Yeah, they got the boot.

Not that this helps heal the hurt of the diving fee, but I was asked to pass this info on, and I told him I would.

Cool, maybe next time I camp there, I won't have to worry about folks getting knifed in the campsite next door :p

Condos? Well, that verifies what I was told over the phone about Vortex being in aquisition. I asked if they were going to pro-rate the second-half of the annual passes this year, and they said they would not as they were in aquisition. (Too bad, too... I would've bought a second-half pass, considering that I'll probably have to do a couple more days of checkout dives there, plus Vortoberfest...)

Hopefully, I'll get some bottom time at the springs this weekend (to check on any rowdy behavior, of course). It looks like St. Andy is calling my name tomorrow, however, and maybe possibly Saturday.

Everyone around here has been trying to jump on the wagon to sell out to investors, this time has past. I know that the owner of Vortex had bid on other springs, possibly looking for a move. I know Morrison was part of teh ongoing program for Florida to relclaim and preserve the water system and spring systems. I know that Florida has been trying to obtain Vortex. If sold I think that FLorida would end up with Vortex Spring. I could see them selling out to investors some land and selling out the spring area to the State.

I emailed Brad Alford, the guy in charge of Walton County parks a few months ago regarding problems at Morrison. This was his response in early June

The park is open to all. You are more than welcome to launch a boat. It is also fine for you to have your dogs at the park as long as there not a threat to anyone. I want all of you to continue to enjoy the springs. We are working with the attorney's office to establish a park ordinance. If I can help in anyway please feel free to contact me.

We have been lucky with the drought this year , normally morrison is not this diveable.

Anyone know anything about compressors, one of mine is not pumping past 600 psi

Sincerely;

Brad

There are many issues that have to be addressed. Troy was not open to the public for many years simply because they could not afford the restrooms required. When it was opened to the public they had to address all laws at the time. Not allowing boaters in the spring area as asafety precaution, they blocked off the entrance. Installed restrooms, required to pub in a ramp for handycap, dock to prevent errosion for the environmentalist.

there has been a Deputy at Morrison almost continuous. On weekends they will be there all day and others will patrol by.

Aries, I live on 181, not 181c at Morrison , I am between DeFuniak and Ponce De Leon. I was going to dive it yesterday afternoon, then the thunderstorms rolled in, may dive it and or Vortex this afternoon.

So if they put in the "Vortex Condo" complex and have acknowledged they (Vortex) are "in aquisition". Did they say anything about what the new developer planned to do in aspect to diving operations there?

In another line in the "discussion", I wonder if they are "marketing" these condo's to divers or to locals who live in the area. There's not exactly a "thriving" influx of people in Ponce de Leon due to the lack of attraction of jobs with industry?

BTW. I wonder if we should get a mod to 'spin' off the Vortex discussion into another thread like "Vortex being sold and condo's being built?"

well I called Vortex, and it's being sold, but in a weird sort of way. Apparantly there is something like a '3 year transistion' to the new owners..... (not sure exactly what this is as they were not real clear). they didn't know anything about condo's though...

As for diving operations, everything would be the same. Same name, same diving, same everything. (I doubt we'll see the price go back down to $25 after its recent increase to $32).

I worked in the County Attorney's office up until a year ago. There was a parks ordinance drafted but it never went anywhere. I think I may have a copy of it if you'd want to see what was proposed. Of course the County Attorney who thought I was too competent and basically forced me out probably won't even use it as a starting point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom