Morrison Springs dive report 6/23/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dumb question from a guy who who really doesn't know anything about your area... but just exactly HOW do you make yourself get in the water when there's possibly gators nearby. Sharks don't bother me but i won't go near a gator. You ever have problems with em?

DawgDiver:
Dumb question from a guy who who really doesn't know anything about your area... but just exactly HOW do you make yourself get in the water when there's possibly gators nearby. Sharks don't bother me but i won't go near a gator. You ever have problems with em?
Never have actually seen one in Morrison, but I'm sure they are there, probably more up the river but not so much in the spring area. Some of the others could probably tell you. I've swam with the sharks, too. I suppose it's just a matter of staying alert and leaving them alone and respecting them and their space...kind of like with the sharks.

DawgDiver:
....but i won't go near a gator. You ever have problems with em?
Won't go near a gator....Florida fans are bad news! A lot meaner than the real critter! WAR EAGLE! HEY!

Yeah but aren't gators much more territorial than sharks, and thus more aggressive?

Bah.... them florida fans don't bother me... you know what they say... "florida fans like it doggystyle"

DawgDiver:

Chances are you'll see a "teethy" EEL before you'll see a gator.

The real thing you have to worry about is the gnomes in the cavern.

mike_s:

That is so cool! Do a night dive there....then go down in the cavern-thingy and turn off your light...then turn it back on! SURPRISE! Eel, eel, eel, eel...enough to make you pee your wetsuit! HA!

mike_s:

Oh wow... gnomes... that does sound pretty gnarly. :11:

So you've never encountered a gator while diving?

mike_s:

Uh, a bull shark has been sighted in the cavern feeding on the eels, and occasionally comes out when provoked.

From what I've read on this board(I think Tom Smedley? maybe Rick?)), gators won't feed in water colder than 70F. The springs here are 67-68F so its close, but probably cold enough to keep the gators further down the run(or in the river) where the water has warmed.

A heavy flood with warm tannic water in the basin, might yeild a problem though :wink:

Bull Sharks have been found in freshwater. They've been caught as far north on the Mississippi River as Illinois.

I'm still waiting to dive with a large shark and small gators. If you'd like to dive with a gator, I hear one of the best places to dive is Alexander Springs for a chance encounter. I've dived there with no luck though :/

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom