Morrison Springs 6/22/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msmith304

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dove Morrison as a quick stop on the way to Panama City. Crystal clear, water was 68 degrees. We got in at 6am local time but the parks people forgot to send someone to unlock the gate so we didn't get into the water until about 730. It was really nice to see the spring clear again- haven't seen it clear since about this time last year.

the only drawback to the otherwise awesome park is the locals. Before we began our first dive we noticed a lone park worker picking up piles of trash, left in the park from the day before. There were torn shirts and socks and empty boxes of Coca Cola along with wrappers of everything lying around. She told us it gets like that every day when the locals come to rampage. Not a pretty sight.

While we were in between dives eating a quick lunch at the picnic area a large herd of local women and their children came in and proceeded to take over the entire picnic area. Apparently it takes 4 picnic tables and a grill to situate 4 kids to get into the water. One of the candidates for mom of the year let her kid (4 years old maybe?) go unsupervised up the side of a tree and he managed to fall off the tree and scrape his jaw. To make a long story short her offensive conversation with the other locals was interrupted by the kid who ended up needing a fire truck and ambulance to give him a bandaid.

We ended up packing up and leaving without doing the second dive to get away from the obnoxious locals. It is sad to see such a gem of a dive site overrun with trailer park fattys. I recommend getting there early and being done before the trailer park floodgates open into the park.:shakehead:

The park doesn't officially open till 8AM, so you got in early.

They aren't on your schedule :wink:

rednecks have been swimming in springs much longer than divers have. The trash sounds like its pretty bad over there, maybe the country should start enforcing the law and collecting a little revenue from the fines instead of spending it cleaning up.

i agree. i went there last year with my wife and friend. we watched as all the trash flooded in and parked as close as possible and after our first dive, a sheriff showed up and it took him about 15 minutes to get every car that was illegally parked out of there. he had his lights on, sirens, and on the P/A telling people to move their cars. people just didnt care. we also watched alot of people trashing the place. so sad.

i went there about two months ago later in the day and not one person was there.. the spring is one of the nicer public springs ive been to i couldn't believe Florida would spend that much money for a bunch of careless locals to mess it up. It was a fun dive though me and my dive buddy dropped a bike in and tried biking across the log over the cave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom