Morrison Report aka Hazard Diver Speciality Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
PICT0364.jpg

Finally back in the water after a two year break.

My cousin and I had planned to go to Vortex, but we checked Morrison since the river levels were iffy. Luckily the water was clear so we suited up and headed in.

[video=youtube_share;ldLwKgkAwMo]http://youtu.be/ldLwKgkAwMo[/video]

After 45 mins at an average 25ft, and a quick peek in the cave, we were done. Sadly we found out later that Morrison was supposed to be closed to diving (no warning signs) due to e.coli in the water, but luckily we hadn't gotten sick yet. Lesson learned.

More pics - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151460971711921.1073741827.523756920&type=1&l=16524a8015

Great pictures. Has this (E. Coli) happened at Morrison before, or is this the first time?

Sorry to be an ass but I saw a diver in the video who had no business going into an over head environment. Gear rig was all wrong and trim was awful.

Please get the proper training before doing it again.

Ill pass it along.

---------- Post added June 17th, 2013 at 04:28 PM ----------

Great pictures. Has this (E. Coli) happened at Morrison before, or is this the first time?

Its probably happened before, and happens all the time elsewhere without us ever knowing!

Sorry to be an ass but I saw a diver in the video who had no business going into an over head environment. Gear rig was all wrong and trim was awful.

Please get the proper training before doing it again.

Can you elaborate, for those new divers who might not understand what about the gear rig/trim was wrong? Do you remember timepoints in the video that you can reference?

Can you elaborate, for those new divers who might not understand what about the gear rig/trim was wrong? Do you remember timepoints in the video that you can reference?

There are rules for diving in an overhead environment that you are taught during Wreck, Cavern, Intro to Cave, and Full Cave courses. For Cavern, you only really need two or more lights, and a reel. Some folks will say you shouldn't dive with split fins, yoke regulators, a single tank, etc., but the two everyone would agree with is redundant lighting and a proper reel or spool. True cave diving, and wreck diving are a different story, but we're talking cavern here, which is what Morrison is. There is a cave section, but you would probably kill yourself accessing it, and probably fail to access it in the bargain.

As for trim, you should ideally be completely horizontal in the water, and mostly use a modified frog kick for propulsion. Among other things, this also minimizes the silt, and other materials that are kicked up during a standard scissor kick that is taught to open water students. This is very important in an overhead environment, where silt can obscure your vision, causing you to become lost or confused, and trapping you in the cave or cavern.

Bottom line, overhead environments (anywhere you can't proceed immediately to the surface) are more dangerous than anyone can appreciate, a fact that has proven itself many times over. Morrison is about as simple a cavern as you could ask for, but it has probably somewhere around a dozen deaths to it's name. If you're tempted to enter a cavern, instead, call around and find a cavern instructor. It's a very cheap class for what you get, and it will make you a better diver, even if you never enter a cavern after finishing up the class.

Wow, this is very informative. Thanks.

There is a cave section, but you would probably kill yourself accessing it, and probably fail to access it in the bargain.

Do you call the bottom section of Morrison (the second room) a Cave? Could one get Cave certified at Morrison, or do you need a more extensive system in which to demonstrate your skills?

Morrison's cave was dynamited many moons ago. People died in it, and everyone thought cave diving should be banned. So Boom goes the dynamite. Damn shame. The second room is still considered a cavern as you can see ambient light from the surface.

As for signs at Morrison's regarding e. coli. Yes, signs ARE in place. I have had friends there recently both before and after you and both saw signs warning of high levels of e. coli. One was in fact turned back by police on one occasion. This happens at Morrison every so often, and will continue to happen.

---------- Post added June 18th, 2013 at 11:24 AM ----------

And I just watched the video. For your safety, the safety of others, your family, and their families, please stay out of the cavern areas until you get the proper training. That sign that you so proudly displayed as you went past it in your video is their for a reason. It is not a joke or a picture taking memento.

Wow, this is very informative. Thanks.

Do you call the bottom section of Morrison (the second room) a Cave? Could one get Cave certified at Morrison, or do you need a more extensive system in which to demonstrate your skills?

As James said above, the large room is a cavern. Many of the fatalities occurred in the cavern section of Morrison. There is a section that goes deeper, and is considered a cave, but the opening is too small for a human to pass. It's also unstable, and there is a significant flow from the cave, so even if you were able to wedge yourself in, there's no guarantee you wouldn't cause a rubble collapse that could pin, or kill you, or both (first one, then the other). Before it was dynamited, the cave section was partially explored and mapped, but even then (I'm told) it was a harry transition into the cave section that challenged, and almost killed world-class cavers.

Different agencies have different requirements, but I think they all require you to dive three or four different systems to obtain your certification. I did four systems for my cert, and even though some of them were within walking distance of each other, they were all different, some significantly so.

Cavern is one of the best classes I've ever taken, and the price for what you get out of it is more than reasonable. If you are interested in taking cavern, be sure to talk with more than one instructor. Most of them are competent, but there are a variety of teaching styles. You can get a drill sergeant, a scientist, or a surfer-boy to teach these classes. Find someone (with a good reputation) who matches your learning style, and don't be afraid to ask other divers what they think of "instructor x" before pulling the trigger.

Above all, stay within your training. These springs have been here for millions of years, and will be here long after we're all dust. You have plenty of time to dive, and scores of places to do it. Get your training, find some good divers above your current level, and go diving with them. Many into cave, and full cave divers are happy to go for a cavern dive with someone who wants to learn.

Morrison's cave was dynamited many moons ago. People died in it, and everyone thought cave diving should be banned. So Boom goes the dynamite. Damn shame. The second room is still considered a cavern as you can see ambient light from the surface.

As for signs at Morrison's regarding e. coli. Yes, signs ARE in place. I have had friends there recently both before and after you and both saw signs warning of high levels of e. coli. One was in fact turned back by police on one occasion. This happens at Morrison every so often, and will continue to happen.

---------- Post added June 18th, 2013 at 11:24 AM ----------

And I just watched the video. For your safety, the safety of others, your family, and their families, please stay out of the cavern areas until you get the proper training. That sign that you so proudly displayed as you went past it in your video is their for a reason. It is not a joke or a picture taking memento.

I am a certified cave diver. But no, there were no signs about bacteria on the day I was there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom