Morehead Seafood Fest dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JayJudge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Trailer Trash Scuba went downto Morehead, NC this past weekend, for some diving and the Seafood fest. Friday greeted us with a less than ideal forecast, which unfortunately proved to be true. Riding out on the Mutiny (Atlantic Beach Diving), we cleared the semi-calm sound, and headed for the Box Wreck. While 4-6+ seas were knocking us around, Will was dropped, but unable to find a suitable spot to anchor us. After fighting the area for a bit, the decision was made to turn back to the Hardees, an artificial reef. One of our group got his first NC ocean dive in, congrats to Joey! Annette had her first experience getting back onboard with doubles, on one of the rougher days possible. Those that dove had a good time, but the idea of bobbing like a cork for the SI made most of us agree to just pull anchor and recover. On that day, it seemed someone must have smeared all of us with banana juice, because if it could go wrong- from weather to our cooler filling with seawater, it did.
Saturday, the rain beat down the seas, and though running at 3-5, only one member of the group got sick. He still did both dives, and was happy with the day. We tied in at the break on the Papoose (or Hutton, or whatever it is now known as). Visibility was 120 vertical, 100 horizonal. While sitting on the sand I could see the props on the boat. A school of Pompano were on the wreck, with 2 of the spearfishermen getting 2 each. As I helped pull the anchor, the sun finally made its appearance, giving a breathtaking, panoramic view of the wreck.
Sunday, with a forecast of mild winds and seas, we made our way out to the Schurz. All of our divers on board, and we anchored in within seconds of the drop. You could see the divers from the surface, as they were greeted by a ray, some octopi, and all the other locals. Annette managed to find a few sharks teeth, odd on this wreck, as not many people have seen a shark on it. Glen and a few others at first thought they were narced at their stops, as between dives Malena put on her mermaid tail and posed for some pics. Wade supervised as I pulled the anchor, and the ride took us on a viewing adventure. I sooooooo love the Schurz, as most of my friends know.
As for the seafood festival- wow was it crowded. I don't think any of us actually bought any seafood, but we did get funnel cakes and sausage dogs. All in all, one of the better trips, even with the spewing on Friday.
-J

Sounds like you all at Trailer Trash Scuba made the most of it, which is what I would expect from you guys. I wish I could have made it, but the trip to Italy & the purchase of a new 2008 Expedition made my bank account groan.
I did manage to get out to the Luchenbach on Saturday off of Va. Beach, had good conditions, for Va. Beach. But hey I will make due of any situation I'm in.
Andy (Drewski on this board) was down there this weekend diving with Olympus & sounds as he hit many of the same wrecks & reported to me (rubbing it in of course) the great conditions once in the water.
We will get together for some diving with TTS sometime soon.

We look forward to it- hopefully City of Houston (I can hear Tom perking up now!)
-J

Back
Top Bottom