MORE UGLY COMING

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. I would have thought North/Northeast would be the worst. Wouldn't that be directly against the current flow?

According to Chrisi's website, it is closed today. I don't know how actively she keeps up with it, though.

I am on vacation so was late updating website today.

Predominant winds come out of the east which is what we want because the island blocks the winds - the more easterly the winds - the flatter the west (where the dive sites are) is. The wind direction and speed affects surface conditions, not currents. Think of "norte's" and port closures as small craft advisories. The diving itself is unaffected, but docking, navigating and getting passengers on/off the boat are the problem which is why the port is closed during high wind events coming from west, NW or North.

The diving itself is unaffected, but docking, navigating and getting passengers on/off the boat are the problem which is why the port is closed during high wind events coming from west, NW or North.
I have seen a few of these first-hand. It can be truly dangerous getting divers on and off the boats at pick-up points and especially if they are not nimble. Getting on and off at the caleta (which is protected) makes it possible to start but boat entry at sea can be very tricky.

I am on vacation so was late updating website today.

Predominant winds come out of the east which is what we want because the island blocks the winds - the more easterly the winds - the flatter the west (where the dive sites are) is. The wind direction and speed affects surface conditions, not currents. Think of "norte's" and port closures as small craft advisories. The diving itself is unaffected, but docking, navigating and getting passengers on/off the boat are the problem which is why the port is closed during high wind events coming from west, NW or North.

Thank you. I wasn't saying that the wind would change the current. My thought was that a current going one way, and the wind going the opposite way would cause a lot of chop on the water. I see the current flowing to the northeast. That's why I was thinking a wind from the northeast would cause the most chop.

We spent a week last spring recovering off the back of a Newton in CB with 5 ft plus swells...fun, no but our group of 25 did so without incident....I’ve never experienced swells in CZM?

Last year the port was closed for 10 of my 14 days there...
Yeah, it sucked...

Back
Top Bottom