More training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Had a 20-hour day yesterday 6-hours of sleep and then dive training today.

It went well.

Did some dry land line work. Rigged a 3 to 1 across the evidence yard with two lines scraped in the dirt to simulate a cliff. We used our old military duce as one anchor point and a power pole as the second anchor(we almost pulled it over :D ).

We are lucky to have an Ice Instructor and a High Line instructor as team members so it makes things go quicker.

For a boat we have an impounded 8’ plastic skiff we walked back and forth as the lines were pulled.

Just some refresher training on the lines for most of us but we have two new candidates and this was their first exposure to it.

Then off to the big pond to go swimming. We went to the south end of Lake Pend Oreille and dove at Eagle Marina. Just outside of the breakwater it gets steep and stays that way to 550+’.

One of our new members hasn’t been deep with me so over the edge we go. He leads as I follow keeping an eye on him.

I know I freaked him out prior to the dive. This area is kind of like one of those roadside attractions where you can’t figure out what direction anything is going. I told him about it and he was kind of unsure what we were talking about.

So we get to 130’ and I do another check on him. His air and attitude are good so we start back. That was when reality hit and I could see the change in his actions and see he was having minor buoyancy problems.

It’s a weird optical illusion in that one area. You think you’re on the flat but you’re on a cliff with about a 75-degree angle. So on the return trip he thought something was wrong, as he had to dump more air than expected.

Once back at the docks he was surprised at what he had just seen and is now a believer in it being a weird area.

I POed my computer big time. It’s got me locked out for a while. I had 3 computers with me. Mine, a new one out of the box and one out of the spare locker.

The two department ones had not hit the yellow yet but mine showed a 1-minute deco at 10’ even after a safety stop at 15 for 3. I didn’t notice the deco until we were on the beach and heard the beeping.

Back in for the stop but I guess it didn’t like that either. So it’s chewing me out as we type. Conservative computers are nice but not with ones that are a little more liberal.

The training went great but the vis was poor for that area. We only had around 40 or 50’. It’s not unusual to have 1 or 200’ of vis on that lake. Everyone had a good time.

We also did the first of several votes on the two new prospective members. Both have been to 4 training days so they had a little exposure to what we are about. Both had all around yes votes that will start their probation and training period.

No training next month. We have our two week long in-service training where we update all our cop certification stuff. We do this every year and get it all done at once.

I can’t believe we get paid to do this stuff. :D

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom