Monterey Shipwreck Listing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have to go to work until Monday. I arrive Saturday (hope to dive with Kristina Saturday afternoon/evening dive at BW). Then my plan is to hopefully find someone (or a group) to do some Sunday dives in the morning and/or afternoon.

Since BW is shallow doing 2 AM and 2 PM dives is doable (have drysuit) if weather allows.

BTW: My name is Iztok and I am a divoholic! :wink:

Another BTW: I am not doing any crazy risky dives. I have no issues with calling a dive if I do not feel comfortable before or during. (I've done it at LA where girls managed to pass the surf area but I got tossed back twice. I've got bit more experience and different gear now to help with that but based what I've heard about Monastery I will not dive there.)

Chuck,

years ago I bought a guide to southern California shipwrecks. I just wish we had something diveable up here. I've done the sailboat (obviously didn't penetrate that wreck) but would really love to dive the others mentioned (Frenchman's, barge, etc).

The Frenchman's Barge is in about 300' That's why it's reasonably
intact. The Barge is a different wreck in about 62' off the breakwater.

Well my number's .................. I'd be down for an afternoon/evening dive at BW. Give me a call Sunday afternoon and I'll meet you there.

Nate

Last edited:
G1
Like I said, do your homework. "Shipwrecks and Sea Monsters of
California's Central Coast", Randal A. Reinstedt, ISBN 0-933818-05-X
is a good place to start. It probably wouldn't pass
a peer review, but it's a good overview of how stuff happens. You
used to be able to find it in most of the Monterey tourist traps. I
think I got my copy at Nepenthe (which I don't consider a tourist
trap, good food, nice view).

Chuck

Alrighty I bought the book from Amazon. It cost $1.44 so not a bank breaker. We will have to see what the secret manual holds :eyebrow:

Alrighty I bought the book from Amazon. It cost $1.44 so not a bank breaker. We will have to see what the secret manual holds :eyebrow:

There's really not much out there in recreational depths, as almost all of them were lost on shoals or shore and thus demolished. The Albion is a tec dive @ ~ 190 feet. And there's quite a few ships sunk by the military outside the Golden Gate, but since they are deep and were usually carrying nuclear waste, they're not exactly appealing dives. That's why NCOF and CSTR want to make artificial reefs by sinking one or more ships in the Monterey/Carmel area.

Guy

We can do this next weekend if you want. I'll send you a PM with my cell number.
Iztok, maybe we can do it Sunday.

Yay! (Hope weather will cooperate :)

Back
Top Bottom