Monterey Shipwreck Listing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NateSmith

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Shipwreck Database / MBNMS

That's from NOAA and I thought it was cool. Lists the coords for shipwrecks in the bay. I'm interested in diving all the wrecks I can here pretty soon. For now, it's just a matter of getting in as much as humanly possible.

Shipwreck Database / MBNMS

That's from NOAA and I thought it was cool. Lists the coords for shipwrecks in the bay. I'm interested in diving all the wrecks I can here pretty soon. For now, it's just a matter of getting in as much as humanly possible.

I think you'll find that the ones wrecked on shore/shoal in the Monterey/Carmel area have long since been battered into tiny little unrecognizable parts (with the exception of the Gipsy's boiler, which supposedly looks just like a big reef). In addition to the Gipsy, the ones I believe fall into that category are the Celia, CG256, Roderick Dhu, J.B. Stetson, Flavel, Frank H. Buck and St. Paul. I don't know about the William H. Smith or Star of the West.

Please let us know if you find anything recognizable.

Guy

Note that the positions are to one minute. That means it tells you what
square mile it MIGHT be in. You have a great deal more homework to do.

And Guy is right that anything reasonably shallow has been hammered to
bits.

And there's a lot missing. Where's the Barge? The Sailboat? The various
Amphtracks? The Frenchman's Barge? ....

Plus how deep are they located? I doubt few if any are in recreational depths, or they would routinely be dove.

Plus how deep are they located? I doubt few if
any are in recreational depths, or they would routinely be dove.
G1
Like I said, do your homework. "Shipwrecks and Sea Monsters of
California's Central Coast", Randal A. Reinstedt, ISBN 0-933818-05-X
is a good place to start. It probably wouldn't pass
a peer review, but it's a good overview of how stuff happens. You
used to be able to find it in most of the Monterey tourist traps. I
think I got my copy at Nepenthe (which I don't consider a tourist
trap, good food, nice view).

Chuck

Chuck,

years ago I bought a guide to southern California shipwrecks. I just wish we had something diveable up here. I've done the sailboat (obviously didn't penetrate that wreck) but would really love to dive the others mentioned (Frenchman's, barge, etc).

Show me yours and I'll show you mine :rofl3:

How about Sunday? :wink: (since boat dive got canceled on me I hope BW will be nicer to me)

Iztok,

I won't get back from Jade Cove until Sunday afternoon. I'd be down for a BW dive at that point. Will you be available?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom