Monterey - Presidents Day, Monday February 16th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you know about the Castroville Blvd detour to avoid the 156 traffic? I know it's too late now, but it might help next time.

-Turn L on Castroville Blvd (at light)
-Veer R to follow Castroville Blvd (there's a sign)
-Turn R on San Miguel to 101 entrance

Chuck once posted about another route you can take that drops you onto 101 a little further North but I think you have to turn L onto the freeway without a light.

That can be simplified:

Turn Left on Castroville at the light at the beginning of 156.
Go as far as you can and turn right.
Go as far as you can and turn right again.
Get on 101.

If traffic is moving, that's only a minute or so slower than staying
on 156. If 156 is clogged up, it's a LOT faster. Now, if 101
is clogged up due to the Red Barn (BAN THE BARN!) (I'm
surprised it would be at 2 pm), the last right turns into a left
and a meander through Aromas.

The early clog on 156 was probably due to the rain chasing the
Crosby gallery home.

Ok as I promised:

Went on a 3 dive charter through the LDS on the Cypress Sea. There were 8 divers on the boat so there was plenty of room. The plan was to go out to the point and see how the weather was so we head out and at a few spots go knocked about a little. Once we get out Phil comes back to discuss the options and it is decided that we'll stay in the bay.

First dive spot was Ball Buster which we were briefed was 70' to 100'. All but one diver decides to go. Well upon hitting the water three divers decide to abort including my buddy. So no deep dive for me. After this abort I think that one of the divers decided to call the day. Talking with my buddy it seems he just isn't used to Monterey diving with the thick wetsuit and double the weight. So when he hit the water he wasn't expecting to fight the current and inertia that much :D No biggy for me as I was a little nervous about diving that depth (not enough to not do it but enough that I'll use an excuse :wink:)

Second dive spot was Eric's Pinnacle. My buddy is feeling good. The diver that abstained from the first one joined us. Phil put out a buoy line to the anchor line for us to use. We jump in and get to the anchor line. Well the diver that joined us aborted at the surface. Can't really blame him as we were bouncing around a bit. So the two of us descend down the anchor line and had a great dive. We kept the pinnacle to our right. Vis was about 20'. Saw a wall of metridium, bunch of fish, and other fun stuff. I'm most happy about easily finding the anchor line after the turn around was called.

Third spot I don't know the name of. As we anchored we noticed a lot of harbor seals on the shore side. My buddy quit after the previous dive so I became the third with two other divers. We decided to go to the shallow side near the harbor seals. Great decision. As we get the reef area one seal comes up and starts spying on us. He'd look over the top of the coral and if we'd look at him he'd move over to behind the kelp. Well I guess he thought we were alright and let his buddies know. For almost the rest of the dive we had 3-4 with us. They'd swim between the group and I swear a few came within petting range. My buddies told me after that my blue force fins had them curious because they were right up behind me a bunch of times. Bad side to all the fun is that we lost our position and ended up getting carried off a ways by the current. One buddy surfaced to take a bearing and then came down and we swam under but eventually I had to surface as I was getting down on air (~750) and wanted to have some in reserve in case I needed to go under again. The swim back and the ribbing was worth it. Vis was easily 20'+.

Both dives had a light current that with a mildly surge but nothing too bad. If my computer is to be believed the temp was 54 degrees.

For most of the day it was overcast with scattered sprinkling. Nothing too bad. Phil and the crew were great and I really enjoyed it. They really take care of their passengers including doing some fin surgery to fix a diver's fin after the strap broke. Having a galley to get in from weather was nice as it was a little cool at times.

On the way into the dock the rain really picked up but everyone had packed up already so it was a quick step off the boat. And since we had a 6:30am load time all of us had really close parking.

Great report Mike. Kudos on calling that first dive, it's never a bad decision, and even if everyone says it was great afterwards, I'd much be on the surface wishing I got in, than be in the water wishing I didn't.

But it is nice when 90% of divers don't show up, and things turn out great, isn't it? :)

That can be simplified:

Turn Left on Castroville at the light at the beginning of 156.
Go as far as you can and turn right.
Go as far as you can and turn right again.
Get on 101.

If traffic is moving, that's only a minute or so slower than staying
on 156. If 156 is clogged up, it's a LOT faster. Now, if 101
is clogged up due to the Red Barn (BAN THE BARN!) (I'm
surprised it would be at 2 pm), the last right turns into a left
and a meander through Aromas.

The early clog on 156 was probably due to the rain chasing the
Crosby gallery home.

Thanks Chuck! Do you have to take a L onto 101 when you take the Aromas route?

Thanks for the clarification Chuck. It will be great to avoid the Red Barn too.

What's the story with the "Red Barn?"

I've seen it there, but paid it no attention. How does it affect traffic?

Thanks.

What's the story with the "Red Barn?"

I've seen it there, but paid it no attention. How does it affect traffic?

Thanks.

They have a flea market there and it backs up the 101 really bad sometimes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom