Monterey - Presidents Day, Monday February 16th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm only teasing you Michelle :D There are a lot of factors keeping me from this trip including childcare issues (my son doesn't have school and my wife is working). The swell does look pretty big at this point too. As you know the drive is a big commitment from up here, so I wasn't ever completeley sure I was going to make it. I just got a new Seacure mouthpiece and am excited to try it out, so I'm sure I will make it soon.

-Kevin

Seriously, you shouldn't make you're decision based on mine...last time I stayed home because of the forecast everyone wrote about an epic day of diving in Monterey. :depressed:

Tell me about it! I stayed home this weekend due to forecasts and my buddy just called me and said they had ~20' vis. at Monastery!! They also did Breakwater and said the conditions were really good too. I went last weekend and got blown out and the conditions looked as if they were going to be worse than then. BUMMER. :shakehead:

Rob

had a great day diving but the traffic on 156 east is making me cry
Posted via Mobile Device

Where'd the boat end up taking you? I'd like to try a boat dive in Monterey, but my days off are always Monday and Tuesday. I hope any of you who do dive on Monday have a fantastic time, and I hope to meet some of you soon.

-Kevin

had a great day diving but the traffic on 156 east is making me cry
Posted via Mobile Device

Do you know about the Castroville Blvd detour to avoid the 156 traffic? I know it's too late now, but it might help next time.

-Turn L on Castroville Blvd (at light)
-Veer R to follow Castroville Blvd (there's a sign)
-Turn R on San Miguel to 101 entrance

Chuck once posted about another route you can take that drops you onto 101 a little further North but I think you have to turn L onto the freeway without a light.

Do you know about the Castroville Blvd detour to avoid the 156 traffic? I know it's too late now, but it might help next time.

Chuck once posted about another route you can take that drops you onto 101 a little further North but I think you have to turn L onto the freeway without a light.

Good to know. I'm tucking that route in my mental list of alternates. It's a LONG way back to Sonoma County after a weekend of Monterey diving.

Thanks.

Where'd the boat end up taking you? I'd like to try a boat dive in Monterey, but my days off are always Monday and Tuesday. I hope any of you who do dive on Monday have a fantastic time, and I hope to meet some of you soon.

-Kevin
First dive was at Ball Buster.
Second at Evan's Pinnacle (or someone's Pinnacle)
Third I didn't get the name of but it was a 30-50 ft gradual coral/sand area within sight of the aquarium. Lots of harbor seals there that joined us for the dive. I'll do a proper write up a little later once I've downloaded the computer.

You know I saw that turn and almost went for it. What is funny (to me at least) is as I was finishing that message traffic opened up (about 1/2 mile from 101).

All-in-all the drive back wasn't too bad. With two stops (one for food the other for gas) it took just a little over 3 1/2 hours to get back to Sac.

Tell me about it! I stayed home this weekend due to forecasts and my buddy just called me and said they had ~20' vis. at Monastery!! They also did Breakwater and said the conditions were really good too. I went last weekend and got blown out and the conditions looked as if they were going to be worse than then. BUMMER. :shakehead:

Rob
They only did one dive at Monastery? That's a message.

Back
Top Bottom