Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Breakwater wall today had 10ft vis max and sometimes less. Fun to be in the water again. Water temp 52 according to my computer. North Monastery looked blue but looked like more of a work out than we wanted. The plastic chain is gone so at least I didn't have to step over it.

Breakwater wall today had 10ft vis max and sometimes less. Fun to be in the water again. Water temp 52 according to my computer. North Monastery looked blue but looked like more of a work out than we wanted. The plastic chain is gone so at least I didn't have to step over it.
Boy, I am planning to come out on Saturday because it has been forever since I've been in the water, but that doesn't sound good. Thanks much for the report.

wnissen A couple of days can make a huge difference. The water had a bit of blue to it so I'm hoping that means better things to come. It was a fun dive and I'm glad I went.

The bigger concern this weekend is going to be congestion due to the Pebble Beach ProAm golf tournament. We were going to go to Pt Lobos for a training dive but decided on Breakwater instead to avoid driving the last few miles into Carmel.

Conditions were the roughest I've seen at Breakwater today. Waist to chest high waves, in tight groups, all breaking in shallow water. Some of them were separated by just a few seconds. Unfortunately, a student exiting got pushed by the waves into the corner against the rocks. I didn't see this happen but apparently he got hit by a wave, went under, and fairly quickly became nonresponsive and blue. Major props to instructor Dane from Aquarius, who literally leapt to the rescue even though it was not his student. I had just been thinking that morning that Breakwater is the best place in Monterey to get in trouble, since there were at least a half-dozen instructors and emergency oxygen was at the ready. Three fire engines, two police cars, and an ambulance responded within minutes, plus some Coast Guard on foot. Unfortunately, the student was apparently pronounced dead at the scene. May he rest in peace.

We ended up hanging out for a while to help other divers exit as some of them got tumbled by the surf. At least one was so exhausted that we relieved him of his gear. Good practice for Rescue. Those who went in were rewarded with 5 feet of visibility along the wall, and 10-15 ft in middle reef.

Conditions were definitely not good at breakwater today. Very high tide with a lot of water moving around. Quite sad about the fatality that occurred this morning. Put a very dark twist on my day. If it was indeed a student, I have to put out there, why was any class happening today that could have been put off to another day. What I saw this morning were a lot of people pushed up to or beyond their limits. For what? A cert card.
Tragic and totally avoidable.
I feel for the mans family and friends. This may be the darkest day they know so far. All my prayers to all of them.

Apparently it got better as the King tide receded. Reports for about an hour later in the day was reasonable entry conditions and decent viz. I had 2 good, but very surgy dives off a boat at Ballbuster and Shale Island.

Also the diver who died (presumably - it did not look good) was quite possibly one of the teaching staff. I only witnessed from a distance, but now know which shop. It is very possible that the deceased was a friend of mine. I will not speculate or give shop or names until that has been publicly released.

Breakwater today had 35-40 ft vis on first dive along the wall. Absolutely amazing. Blue water, a ton of fish. 51 degree water temp. Every diver was coming out of the water stoked. Second dive in middle kelp was 25-30ft vis. Still fun.

A friend did Lobos and had 40-50ft vis. Another diver I talked to had 40ft at North Monastery. I'm sensing a common theme. GO DIVING.

Dove North Monastery today. Wow. 40ft plus vis. 95 minute dive. 71 ft max depth. Walk in and walk out. Waves were building at time of exit. 52 degree water. Awesome dive. A bit of surge in shallows. Best vis was at the canyon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom