Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a close up.
IMG_1593-1.jpg

They forgot the sharks with laser beams

IMG_1593-1.jpg
I would argue that I did stay back while I was suiting up. The sign didn't say how long I should stay back. I'd like to post another sign right by it that says Warning Tripping Hazard. I fixed the sign.

View attachment 561629 I would argue that I did stay back while I was suiting up. The sign didn't say how long I should stay back. I'd like to post another sign right by it that says Warning Tripping Hazard. I fixed the sign.

I want that on a t-shirt today, to go along with my worn "corrosive" logo shirt (the hand with a divot missing) that I had had, when I worked in labs.

Hope that you were not taken down by the tripping hazard . . .

Went out to Monastery on the 15th. Saw the now famously ineffective sign. Proceeded to step over it for, if anything, a bog standard entry and exit. Even with someone who had never dove Monastery before tagging along.

Vis was ~20ft hazy, but bright.

Pt Lobos on Saturday, Jan 25. We were the only ones there for most of the morning - the swell forecast and chance of rain kept most people away. We saw just one more team gearing up around noon when we got out. Disconcertingly large waves were crashing on the wash rocks on the west side of the cove but the channel looked manageable. Our plan was to go to Beto's Reef so we decided to head in; both of us had new gear to test out so getting in the water even for a short dive was something we were both okay with.
IMG_0961.JPG
Conditions ended up being pretty good on the dive. Easy surface scoot to the Worm Patch and 5 min in hazy viz to Beto's Reef. Fun dive as usual with a lot of hydrocoral and the usual fishy suspects. Surge didn't really bother us at depth but definitely noticeable on the deco hang.
-> 123ft max, 62ft avg, 57min, 52F at depth
GPTempDownload-1.jpg GPTempDownload (7).jpg
Getting out of the water was spicier than normal with swirling waves going all the way up the ramp and into the lot. I got rolled around a couple of times trying to retrieve the scooters and deco bottles.

Getting out of the water was spicier than normal with swirling waves going all the way up the ramp and into the lot. I got rolled around a couple of times trying to retrieve the scooters and deco bottles.
I'm glad you had a good dive and appreciate the report of conditions. I'm also glad I stayed home!

Pt Lobos on Saturday, Feb 25. We were the only ones there for most of the morning - the swell forecast and chance of rain kept most people away. We saw just one more team gearing up around noon when we got out. Disconcertingly large waves were crashing on the wash rocks on the west side of the cove but the channel looked manageable. Our plan was to go to Beto's Reef so we decided to head in; both of us had new gear to test out so getting in the water even for a short dive was something we were both okay with.
Conditions ended up being pretty good on the dive. Easy surface scoot to the Worm Patch and 5 min in hazy viz to Beto's Reef. Fun dive as usual with a lot of hydrocoral and the usual fishy suspects. Surge didn't really bother us at depth but definitely noticeable on the deco hang.
-> 123ft max, 62ft avg, 57min, 52F at depth
Are you from the future? Or maybe I’ve been in a coma :wink:

That ramp can be a bear.

Back
Top Bottom