Monterey Boat Diving vs Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then I assume you never went down to Big Sur on the Cypress Sea? Those trips were often fabulous dive experiences. I miss them. Not only did you get spectacular diving, but you got to listen to Phil's patter while chowing down between dives.
Nope missed those days. I routinely see Capt. Phil at Lobos launching and recovering his RIB. He is always a pleasure to be around. I would highly recommend getting a group of four divers together and hiring him. You will get to dive some of the best spots around Carmel. Well worth any extra fees associated with it.

Been with Phil once. What a pleasure. No rush and even though it is a 17' RIB it feels much bigger.

I ask because I have contemplated a dive trip there but it seems like boat diving scene has not picked up and locals tend to wait for the right ocean conditions and would not know until 24 hours before whether the dive is on or not.
The Navy forecasts go out 8 days. http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/swell/wamglance.html

Do note that the local boats typically only go weekends and holidays. The Beach Hopper does some Friday trips.

It's really nice to have your gear in close proximity to just giant stride into the water. However, our waters aren't the calm benevolent ones of Hawaii or the South Pacific, where most islands are shielded by coral reefs. Hence you have to deal with the considerable swell that rocks the boat several feet. For those that have good sea legs, the motion will not pose any problems. For others, it's a nightmare until the boat is back at the dock. You must take motion sickness medicine if you are prone to motion sickness, or you will hate boat diving in this area.

The boat dives, imho, are just different. You'll have exposure to dive sites that are deeper and whose landscapes differ from shore dives. Most shore dives will have you swim at or near a kelp forest. Boat dives will have you swim on pinnacles or outcroppings that jut out from the deep. I don't believe one is naturally better than the other, just different.

Walking over the Monster Berries does take a bit of stamina. I'm slightly rotund these days so it does take some effort. When I was 10lbs lighter, I could get over them without huffing and puffing like the big bad wolf. You do need a modicum of physical fitness to enjoy shore diving.

Booking a trip ANYWHERE can be a roll of the dice, certainly in Monterey the odds may be less then other area but alas, that is diving! I used to do most of my diving in Monterey from the shore until I got RIB and now loathe shore diving. Once you do a boat trip to Carmel Bay - Pinnicles you might change your opinion on boat vs. shore diving in Monterey. I booked a dive trip to Kauai, HI a few years back and had 5' vis and surge that rivaled what we have on the N. Coast for the week I was there. Bottom line, book a boat trip in Monterey and see for yourself if its your thing.

I don't get to Monterey all that often, but I've been out on boats a few times. When they can get out of the bay, they take you to amazing places. If conditions make you stay in the bay, I'd much rather shore dive at Lobos.

How predictable is Lobos conditions wise? I have thought about staying there for a week and just shore diving the hell out of that place line Bonaire. Do-able?

Well...there's vis and there's wave conditions.

Wave conditions are driven by Pacific storms and their location. The Monterey coast line is pretty convoluted so, if you're lucky, not all dive sites are necessarily blown out---but it does happen. Lobos itself is pretty sheltered and can be diveable even with a pretty good swell if it's coming from the right direction.

Vis can, of course, be affected by storms, but also follows a seasonal pattern: great in the winter and not as great in the summer.

If you can have fun in 10-15foot vis you can have fun in Monterey most of the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom