Monterey Boat Diving vs Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vegan Shark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've yet to try boat diving in Monterey, so was thinking of giving it a shot. Are the locations, visibility, etc. different enough from the usual shore diving spots to make it worth the money? Price-wise it's not that different from a trip to the Channel Islands or Wreck Alley, so don't know if I should just save money for SoCal trips instead.

On all the boat websites there's no page for the dive sites, or where they plan on going on any given day, so hard to tell if it's worthwhile. If it's a cool site that isn't accessible to shore divers I can see it being fun, but when I dove at Butterfly House one of the boats was there, which is kinda pointless to me since I can just shore dive that for free.

So what's the boat diving scene like?

Boat diving is better than shore diving. The diving is better, no sand, no trudge across the beach, no surface swim.

The dive boats can't predict where they are going to dive until they get on the water and see the conditions.

When you factor in travel to SoCal, it's a lot cheaper. And I think its better diving.

So give it a try.

Unfortunately for me, for one reason or another, I have never had a good dive off a commercial boat out of Monterey. Lobos and Monastery beach offer comparable diving to boat diving, but you have to be able to deal with a shore break, or swim for long distances. Boat diving you fall off, swim around, then head back up the anchor line.

I would strongly recommend proper safety gear, like a whistle, and surface marker buoy.

I'm with Chuck on this one: it is possible to get to better dive sites from a boat than it is by going from shore. As much as I like swimming out from the ramp at Whaler's, there's nothing I can reach in a surface swim that will compare with Allen's Arch, for example. The problem is that unless you're on a BAUE charter the commercial boats don't usually go to the awesome spots. I always laugh when I see people paying $90 to take a boat to Lover's or McAbee. Perhaps the best solution is to have a friend who has a dive boat, and then you very generously chip in for gas so you can get to the awesome spots.

Bruce

---------- Post added November 12th, 2013 at 10:30 AM ----------

Unfortunately for me, for one reason or another, I have never had a good dive off a commercial boat out of Monterey.
Then I assume you never went down to Big Sur on the Cypress Sea? Those trips were often fabulous dive experiences. I miss them. Not only did you get spectacular diving, but you got to listen to Phil's patter while chowing down between dives.

I have had many very nice dives off of the Beachhopper II with Mary Jo and Josh.

I tend to go for their Friday dives where a two tank trip is $60. That is pretty hard to beat.

Like it's been said the boat captain won't know where they're going to take you until they're on the water. For example I've done about 6 boat trips in Monterey. All of them were intended to go to Carmel. However, due to conditions 4 of them ended up diving spots you could surface swim too....well I could anyway. On the other hand the 2 that did make it around the point were friggin' awesome.

Some of my other hobbies are climbing mountains, mountain biking and rock climbing so trudging in the sand over the dune at Monestary and a long surface swim are a bonus for me. Not only do I get to do some good diving (in my opinion any diving is good diving..even the pool) I also get a little work out from it as well.

So how does one go about planning a dive trip to Monterey from East Coast USA? Normally you would call a dive shop and book your dates. They would give you a hotel package or recommend a hotel nearby.

I ask because I have contemplated a dive trip there but it seems like boat diving scene has not picked up and locals tend to wait for the right ocean conditions and would not know until 24 hours before whether the dive is on or not.

Any tips? Thanks.

Sounds pretty hit or miss. I actually enjoy the long surface swims and climbing up Monastery's dunes, makes it all feel more worthwhile somehow, so boat diving is purely about getting to great locations you can't from shore for me. If I give it a shot I'll make sure to keep my eyes glued to the forecasts and pick a very calm day to maximize chances of going somewhere out there. There aren't any boats that make regular trips to Bluefish? I don't plan on getting a kayak or scooter+doubles anytime soon, so a boat trip there sounds nice :)

Captain Sinbad, if you're coming all the way from the East Coast why not just go to the Channel Islands or Wreck Alley, where you destinations are preset and you can book everything far in advance? I love Monterey and Carmel, but if I was going cross-country I would just go to Catalina or somewhere where you're pretty much guaranteed good to great visibility and conditions, rather than get to Monterey only to discover you arrived during a week of 5ft vis and swells.

Phil Sammet launches his RIB from Lobos and makes it to Carmel every time! :wink: pretty reasonable cost with a group of 4.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom