Monastery tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drewdawg1977

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My buddy and I are going to try Monestary on Sunday, but I'm well aware it can be the most dangerous spot in town. Any tips for us? Where should we enter, what heading should we take? Better yet, anyone diving there on Sunday so we could follow you out? Cheers!

The best thing, unless you can find a Monastery mentor, is to sit and watch other divers up and down the beach for a while. Aside from educational, it can be pretty entertaining at times. It is an unusual place in terms of wave action.

I highly recommend watching this video: Monastery Beach Dive Video Scuba Diving - YouTube

Monastery is a very strange place. The sand is very coarse, and doesn't pack well. There is an abrupt shore break that can be difficult to negotiate on your feet. The center of the beach is the worst place to enter. Be aware that the water can look very benign and still pose issues for entry and exit, and also that the conditions can change in just an hour. The one time I dove there, I was carefully coached on how to do it, and we walked into water that was almost completely still. But the wind came up while we were diving, and the exit was not easy at all. The climb up the slope to the cars isn't easy, either.

One more thought. You probably don’t want to dive there if you see a bunch of divers drive up, walk the beach, and then drive toward Monterey — especially on a summer weekend. The same surf in most other places wouldn’t be too bad.

Be humble.

Look hard before entering & exiting.

Plan to crawl.

Rinse your gear VERY well after.

should've tried to take today off to go diving :-/

Wow, no doubt! I wish I had been able to!

local_tz_filter.png

You definitely want to be willing to walk away if it's rough. Exit and entry towards the far edges of the beach, depending on whether you choose the North or South dive location. Definitely watch other divers for a while as suggested. If there are no other divers there on Sunday, take the hint and head to the bay. There is actually a very helpful sign near the restrooms on the south end with some fine tips on what to be aware of.

That is one heavy wave that hits you there and you won't realize how severe it is until you are in. I had my son walk in and out with just his wetsuit on last year before gearing up and taking him diving there for the first time. He had a much clearer understanding of how to get out properly after that. No issues and the waves were moderate. Sunday looks iffy to me at this point. Please be careful. I don't like reading accident stories.

Personally, I think the north end of the beach is a little easier to manage than the south end, just because the climb back up the sand berm isn't quite so hard. But which end you do may depend on sea conditions. As somebody earlier mentioned, you want to go in at the ends of the beach. That means not just "not in the middle", but all the way at the far ends...like no more than 100 feet away from the end of the sand.

The first thing you should do is go up on top of the berm, sit down, and just watch for a while. It will take you no time at all to see why we are all telling you to go in only at the ends of the beach. While you are watching, you will see groups of divers come down the trail, go up and over the berm and enter in the middle. Quite often, they get trashed. It seems that every time I take a class to Monastery and take them up on top of the berm to give them my "Monastery lecture", there is a group of divers who do this. I have had students who were convinced I had staged this for their benefit!

When you get ready to enter, get your fins firmly in your hand and go down to the water's edge...and stop. Watch the waves for a minute or so. You want to time your entry for the calmest possible moment. Once you get it, head in briskly AND DO NOT STOP. Walk as far in as you can, then turn around and face the beach. You put your fins on while you are watching the surf zone so that you don't get pushed into it.

When you're ready to go diving, swim around the kelp; don't try to go through it unless you feel like you need the exercise. Once you're clear of the kelp, swim away from the beach. At either end of Monastery you will need to go out about 100 yards in order to get even 40' of depth.

When you're ready to get out, follow the above in reverse. Swim around the kelp, then swim parallel to the shore until you are within 100' of the end of the sand. Once you've picked your exit spot, move in until you can just touch the bottom. Get your fins off and move in a little bit more. Now watch the waves over your shoulder. As soon as you see a good one just about to reach you, start moving. That wave wants to lift you up in the air and then shove the upper part of your body forward. If you have your feet moving at the same time as it's trying to push you over, you will remain vertical. The net effect is that that wave will pick you up and set you down on top of the ledge in a standing position. It's all a matter of timing! Then you get to look over at your buddies who by now have fallen down and are rolling around in the surf and give them the expression of, "What's wrong with you? It's really all so easy!"

Bruce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom