Monastery Success!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm pretty stoked on the dive I did on Sunday, so I wanted to share. (I hope that's not too weird).

I'm a very new diver. So far, my diving trips have started with us looking at Monastery for a bit, thinking about the "MONASTERY WILL KILL YOU" warning we all got, then heading to Lover's (or BW if it looks like surfers are going to show up at Lover's). This weekend we sat at North Monastery for about 20 minutes and decided it was fairly tame, so we went in. I couldn't believe how great the vis was, even though some of my friends said it was murky compared to their past trips. We stayed nice and shallow so we could poke around for longer (my air consumption is still stupid high), but just far enough out that we didn't crash into anything with the surge. Also, was really warm both down there and topside, lovely day, etc.

Anyway, yeah, I had a great weekend and wanted to share. I can't wait for next weekend, which is having an unfortunate effect on my productivity today. Thanks for reading :)

Congrats! That is a great dive when conditions are good and I was really stoked after my first "successful" Monastery dive too. Thanks for sharing your excitement.

Make sure you try the Southside too...lots of life and a great reef!

South side it utterly amazing on the rare days that we get 100+ feet of vis. Managed to luck out and dive it once and WOW!

Brandon-You are correct my friend! I have had two mind blowing dives with great viz there.. probably 70ft +! Two angel sharks in the sand..(one was at least 5ft) huge halibut and the structure and hallways/passageways are incredible!Even saw some dolphins while swimming out! Probably one of my favorite dives.. including boat dives!!
Still had a smile after the trudge up the dune!

Ive also been there when its like kelp and crap soup..called the dive after 5 mins..:depressed:

I did a solo night dive at Monastery. Big ole harbor seal scared the carp out of me by hunting by my light. The first time it scared me, the fourth time I thought it was kinda cool, after the twentieth time it got really annoying.

Congrats! Monastery is my favorite dive and I think it is well worth the effort of getting in and out :)

Back
Top Bottom