Molokini back wall and Molokai, how difficult are these dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k374

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just wanted to get an opinion on the difficulty level of these dive sites as they are rated as "Advanced". I would really like to do at least the Molokini back wall if not Molokai but I am prepared to skip them if I am not ready. I have about 30 dives under me, so I'm still a novice, I do have drift and deep dive experience diving walls in Cozumel and my buouyancy control and air consumption are very good (as rated by others not myself). An SMB is required for the drift dive so I plan to get one...the question is, should I or shouldn't I? What are the specific conditions that make these dives "Advanced"? I do want to be cautious so would appreciate any opinions and feedback.

I do have drift and deep dive experience diving walls in Cozumel and my buouyancy control and air consumption are very good (as rated by others not myself).

if this is true, then i would not worry at all.

Molokini back wall is no more difficult, probalbly less so, than a wall dive on Grand Cayman, Little Cayman, Providenciales... and much less gratifying. The live boat is easy to board. I'm sure conditions could make it more challenging. Sorrry, can't help you with Molokai, but I would sure like to find out!!

Good diving, Craig

I did this dive when I had less than 50 dives in....but then again I had 40+ dives in So.Cal. cool water with surf enterings, etc. They call it "advance" because it is a live drop and pick up off the boat and over 300' to the bottom so buouyancy control and air consumption is important. All I had to tell the dive op is where and how often I dive and they said no problem and after diving with an "insta-buddy" that had 3 times the dives I had but they were all "once a year vacation warm water diving", I realized what they meant. It was awsome to be 80' under, watching the waves hit the rocks above, not being able to see the bottom, and blue water to my left... did two dives there and loved it....ready to go back as I write.

agree, if you have done drift diving other places you're probably ok. You need to be comfortable with the live boat drop off and pickup, and with possibly waiting a bit for pickup. You should also be comfortable in deep blue water, as you have to kick away from the wall a bit to get picked up, the boat can't get too close. (There was someone on a trip I was on that turned out to have issues with this, and also carried no signaling devices, and it almost turned into a big cf.)

Surface conditions can get pretty "exciting" the later in the day it gets because the winds generally pick up. You'll notice the boats mostly leave early in the morning and try to get done before things kick up. But stuff happens and there's always a chance you could surface to some big waves and a challenge getting back on the boat, so it's best if you are also ok with boarding a very uncooperative boat just in case. It's happened to me twice in not that many dives there. Once was on a rare afternoon charter, but the other was on a morning trip and not really expected.

I can't comment on Molokai, not having been there, but the back wall of Molokini is as described. What makes it advanced is that surface conditions can be tough, and that there is no hard bottom so depth control is entirely up to you. It's not a difficult dive to execute, but I also didn't find it very exciting. If you've dived other walls, I don't think this one is going to be a big deal.

Also be very aware of down currents coming out of no where. People have gotten in trouble there.
Read JENLOVESTODIVE post about a down welling in Coz she experienced. The same thing is known to happen at Backside Molikini.

Molokini's back wall is amazing and not terribly advanced, but I'd be a little cautious sending a novice to Molokai. It involves jumping off the boat and climbing back on in potentially BIG waves and riding some ripping-fast currents. As with many dives, you'll be fine as long as you're in the water, it is getting in and out that can be tricky.

Hold on their Babalooies; when the waves are big and the currents are ripping, any responsible Molokini operator would not do seriously advanced diving unless they were certain of the advanced seriousness of their guests. There are operators who have and will take divers with less than 10 dives to the Backside, but it does not happen when waves are big and current is ripping.

When I am on a boat to Molokini I am hoping to NOT dive the backside. I consider the Backside to be the 5th, 6th and 7th best dives at Molokini. If I get "stuck" doing the Backside I will manage to enjoy myself, but luck will have to bring me an unusual encounter for it to be a great dive.

Reef's End drift is #1 in my book, with Shark Ledges drift a close second. Shark Ledges is the only spot I hear much talk of dangerous down current problems and it is a sloping down current, not really vertical at all. Any mooring from 50' Sand Channel to Reef's End is 3rd & 4th, with Reef's End moored and Center Reef moored, and dragging up 5th is either of the En Enui Moorings for Shark Ledges moored.

Back
Top Bottom