Molokini back wall and Molokai, how difficult are these dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Molokai is not a good place for a beginner if the surf is up. 8ft-10ft swells make it really tough if you are not ready for it. Ask the lady who broke her mask and nose getting pushed into the tank of the diver in front of her. On the other hand, if the conditions are good, you might be OK. I believe they screen who goes though. I'd ask ahead of time before just showing up and expecting to dive.

Thanks guys...signing up for Molokini Back wall, will save Molokai for another time :wink:
Per the dive profile description it seems the level off is at 80'. I am assuming per drift dive protocol groups descend and ascend together. Also can anyone comment on how much boat traffic is around that area?

Last edited:
With regards to how much boat traffic there is in the Backside, There is rarely as many as 4 boats per morning diving the Backside, because why would they want to fight over 6th, 7th and 8th? The race is to get the Reef's End mooring!

The Captains drop groups close to the wall and then follow the bubbles from a couple hundred feet off the Wall. Departures from Kihei Boat ramp are NOT all at the same time, so starts and ends of dives are also NOT at the same time. Depending on the operator, divers/teams will be sent up as gas dictates; hoovers do not end the dive for everybody if you dive with a responsible operator.

Slight overreaction on my previous post as the "big waves and ripping current" statement was directed at Molokai. Diving Molokai on a set schedule is how you end up with injuries; responsible operators dive Molokai when conditions AND guest experience are proper for those dives.

We did Molokini (many years ago) with Ed Robinson's and did not ascend as a group. People went up based on gas.

Did Molokini Backside twice a couple weeks ago, with Ed Robinson's.
Ditto what Damselfish said, great op, each person or team was sent to a safety stop when they reached 700 lbs. Made for a nice long dive for those of us with better gas consumption.

Thanks, I'm diving with Lahaina divers for 5 days and B&B scuba for a day (long and early drive since I'm staying in Kaanapali and they are in Kehei and leave at 5:45am yikes!). Only 3 more weeks left :bounce2: I do appreciate everyone's feedback!

Last edited:
Hi There... I just dove both recently and have just about 50 dives.

The back wall is an easy dive. I'm not sure why they want an "advanced level" of diving but you'll be fine.

Molokai is a bit tougher as there seems to be stronger currents and it's pretty tough to get back into the boat at the end of the dive but I think you'll be fine here as well.

Maybe if this was your 4th or 5th dive I may recommend against it but if you're comfortable then you should have no problems.

Please keep in mind that your number of dives, although an indicator, is not a measure of your diving experience or ability. Only your training and true experience in a similar environment to what you will be diving are important. 300 dives in 40ft of 80 degree clear water will not prepare you for 10ft viz in 8ft seas and 2 knot currents. Always dive within your comfort, equipment and training level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom