Mola mola season in Bali?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

katsea

Registered
Reaction score
We're going to Bali next week, but we haven't got our diving resort booked yet :p

I'm thinking of booking a diving resort in Tulamben area and taking a day trip to Nusa Penida. However, I just rang two resorts and I got different answers about the mola mola season. One told me, it can be seen mostly in Aug-Oct. So don't go for day trip to Nusa Penida. Another one told me, yes, it is the right time to see mola mola.

Can anyone give me some advice on this please? If it's really not the mola mola time, can I still see some big stuff like Mantas? Any other advices about diving in Bali are all welcome:D

Thanks a lot~

You're best bet may be to speak to people when you are there. I think I am right in saying that you are a little early for the Mola Mola season, but you will be sure to meet other divers and dive pros who have been diving Nusa Penida recently who can give you the very latest advice.

In my opinion, you should make at least a day trip to Nusa Penida regardless. The diving there is great and it offers different diving to Tulamben, making for nice variety in your dive trip. You do also have the chance of other big encounters if you are lucky.

Hi UnderwaterAsia, many thanks for your advice~

I haven't booked any resort so far. It's less than a week before we go. I'm getting a bit nervous~~ :D

Nusa Penida is a good dive site. I was lucky enough to see mola molas , but it was in late September. You are unlikely to see them this early in the year. You might be better off at Manta Rock for a manta sighting. The water is uncharacteristically cold for Bali. I dive a 5mm at Nusa Penida.

I forgot to mention. We stayed at Scuba Seraya last month in Tulamben. It far exceeded my expectations. I strongly recommend booking with them. I have stayed in other resorts in that area, but none were comparable.

as mentioned by underwater asia, i think you are too early for the mola mola season. typically it is around sept period. nevertheless have a great trip to bali.

I forgot to mention. We stayed at Scuba Seraya last month in Tulamben. It far exceeded my expectations. I strongly recommend booking with them. I have stayed in other resorts in that area, but none were comparable.

Hi Kneptoon, I am trying to book with them also. However, the price they gave me is quite different from their website. How did you book with them? By phone or email? I guess maybe I'm not clear enough in my email?

Oh, one more question, did you stay in their bungalow or their ocean view villa? Does it make a big difference?

Many thanx :wink:

We also stayed at Scuba Seraya last month and we also recommend staying with them. See my post on Mooseman1007’s Bali Advice thread. Patrick, the owner, may be adjusting his pricing due to devaluation of the Euro since he charges in Euro’s. We booked through Reef & Rainforest and our rate included the room, breakfast, two boat dives per day and a two tank trip to Nusa Penida. The maisonette rooms are OK, a bed, two end tables, a desk and a free standing closet. The bathroom is Balinese style and outdoor. We didn’t have problem staying in the maisonette room. The Villa’s are much larger but are also expensive, if you want extra room, go for the Villa’s. Prices in the restaurant ranged between 30,000Rp and 65,000Rp for most dinner selections.

Regarding Nusa Penida, we went to Manta Point and Crystal Bay, lots of Mantas but no Mola Mola. It’s too early in the season. Our driver picked us up at 7:30 for the trip to Padang Bai which is where we boarded the boat and we were back at Scuba Seraya by 2:30.

Hi Woodiver, many thanx for your advice~

I was going to book with Scuba Seraya coz so many ppl highly recommended them. But the price they gave me is still quite different from their website. I don't feel good about this obvious price difference without any sound reason.
I would suggest ppl to book with an agent instead of booking directly with the resort. In this case, the agency actually can offer a better deal.

For me, it's too late to book Scuba Seraya. Tauch terminal has contacted me and gave me a reasonable and consistent price. So Tauch terminal it is~

Anyhow, no matter where I'm staying, I believe I'll have a great time in Bali :D

Thanx a lot for all your reply

xxx

Mola have been spotted from February this year, but sporadically. We've had a very late rainy season so the water temperature is all wrong at the moment. Mola are a cold water fish and the temperature is still around 28 degrees. Normally Mola season is July-October but no-one can guarantee a sighting! Manta are here all year around.

PM me for a tailormade dive and/or accommodation package or use the website links below

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom