Suggestion Moderator names

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
MikeC

MikeC

Contributor
Reaction score
Pete and all, what do you think of either having a sticky somewhere that has a list of the moderators and their real first names or in their on-line profiles they put their first name. With a few mods they use their name as there screen name, Rick M. for example but "The Kraken"??? If I want to PM him it is weird to say "Greetings The Kraken..."

Some might argue that a real "reader" of this site would know the names, from various posts or personal communications, but what about a rookie or someone who hasn't looked for names?

dlndavid:
Hey where've you been? Who's been keeping an eye on me? :D

I've been up to no good in Key Largo. :D Have you been keeping yourself out of trouble?! Do I need to go and check to see what pots you've been stirring?

jonnythan:
Maybe we could role-play a little bit. *cough*

Bode, I do think you will need to be punished for not bringing home any Gold medals for the U.S. :b2:

MikeC:
Pete and all, what do you think of either having a sticky somewhere that has a list of the moderators and their real first names or in their on-line profiles they put their first name. With a few mods they use their name as there screen name, Rick M. for example but "The Kraken"??? If I want to PM him it is weird to say "Greetings The Kraken..."

Some might argue that a real "reader" of this site would know the names, from various posts or personal communications, but what about a rookie or someone who hasn't looked for names?
Response to Mike and any other readers:
Why would you need anyone's real name in order to communicate with them? Why should your desire to appear "familiar" override the wishes of others?

We have (mostly) all chosen login names for ourselves. Right, wrong or indifferent, we have exercised our right to do so. If I wanted to be known on ScubaBoard as Stanley, I would have signed on as Stanley. I did not choose to do so. I chose to be known as Wristshot (or W for short, or Wristy to my close friends) and you and every other member should be willing to respect that choice. Why is it weird to greet The Kraken by the name that he has chosen to use?

If you were my friend, you would probably know my real first name. I know that you could not possibly care what my real name is, or whether I am your friend. If you wanted or needed to communicate with me, then you could easily do so using my chosen "name" or any one of a thousand acceptable generic greetings [ex: Sir, Dude, buddy etc.]

I guess your request just really hit me wrong because I find the request arrogant and insulting. Probably not your intention at all, but you did ask what we felt. Clearly others did not agree, and they are all welcome to spread their own information however they choose, but I would rebel vehemently (on principle) against it being required in any form.

Wristshot

mah name Inigo Montoya

chew killed my father

prepare to die

:wink:

El Orans:
Hey dubya, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel... :D
Lighten up Stanely :wink:

H2Andy:
mah name Inigo Montoya

chew killed my father

prepare to die

:wink:

GREAT move . . . one of my favorites !!!
:eek:fftopic:
the Kraken

Princess Bride?

Wristshot:
I know that you could not possibly care what my real name is, or whether I am your friend.

I care.

dlndavid:
Princess Bride?

Fezzik: You never said anything about killing anyone.

Vizzini: I've hired you to help me start a war. It's an prestigious line of work, with a long and glorious tradition.

Fezzik: I just don't think it's right, killing an innocent girl.

Vizzini: Am I going MAD, or did the word "think" escape your lips? You were not hired for your brains, you hippopotamic land mass.

Inigo Montoya: I agree with Fezzik.

Vizzini: Oh, the sot has spoken. What happens to her is not truly your concern. I will kill her. And remember this, never forget this: when I found you, you were so slobbering drunk, you couldn't buy Brandy!

[turning to Fezzik]

Vizzini: And you: friendless, brainless, helpless, hopeless! Do you want me to send you back to where you were? Unemployed in Greenland!

yup :D

Back
Top Bottom