Moderator and Thread Participant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Are there rules for SB staff concerning their being moderators and participants in a thread they are moderating/overseeing?

I find it totally unfair and unprofessional that a staff member who I won't mention their name, Diver0001, is moderating a thread/post and deleting what he doesn't like and/or goes against his line of thinking yet at the same time he is actively participating and commenting in the thread.

Could you please let me know what the rules and dividing lines are for staff members in moderating and participating in the same post they are moderating and taking away other participants' comments?

Love, hugs and juicy kisses to all staff!!

Normally if a moderator is engaged in a thread they recuse themselves of moderating that thread. That should have happened here as well.

With regards to the thread you mentioned it would have been wise to have stuck to that policy. As it was I tried to fulfill both roles for expediency because I felt that it was important to open up the thread for new posts as quickly as possible in order to avoid the impression that moderators were intentionally censoring the thread.

That is on me and me alone. It was probably a mistake.

R..

You weren't intentionally censoring the thread?

No, I was not. If you review the thread it will be clear that the intention was to address the fact that we (collectively) are far too hard on newbie divers than is justified in green zones.

Moderators receive a large number of complaints about the "hardness" of the tone on this board. I attempted to address that by moderating one particular case of that in the open forums. I get the impression that it didn't work out as well as I had hoped it would.

R..

I thought that was exemplary :D

Put me down as extremely satisfied.

I don't rub anybody's nose in anything. My concern is with the basic structure of the former green zone.

There is no 'green zone' anymore. There is no huggy-kissy 'let me explain the way things work here' anymore.

You come in as a newbie, get your nose bent and then get some sympathy. I've said my piece, nothing more unless asked.

I don't rub anybody's nose in anything. My concern is with the basic structure of the former green zone.

There is no 'green zone' anymore. There is no huggy-kissy 'let me explain the way things work here' anymore.

You come in as a newbie, get your nose bent and then get some sympathy. I've said my piece, nothing more unless asked.

Well, it’s none of my business but I was just trying to give them a compliment. I wouldn’t say I am a newbie.

Lowviz
I'm interested to know how you would like to see the green zones moderated. This is a discussion that we will be having and I'm interested in your opinion. How hard of a line would you draw? Is sarcasm ok? Should we always err on the side of either it is helpful or it gets deleted? If it is a helpful post except for one or two sentences would you edit the post and leave the part that is ok? Is it ok to be gruff if you mean well. Do you have to call someone a name or attempt to humiliate them before we should moderate them? It's the gray areas that are the hardest. Where would you draw the line. If you got to create the perfect world of the green zones what would it look like? Would there be 1-3 mods that were the protectors of the noobs that you better not cross? What would rise to the level of thread banning a member? How about forum banning? Would every decision require discussion and consensus or would there be a few trusted monarchs of the green zone that took unilateral action? I realize that is a lot of questions and answering them will take some time and commitment. Please consider taking the time.
Ray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom