Moderator and Thread Participant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take your time. You can pm me or respond here.

The board has always been guided by the users via the report post feature. Moderators do their level best to maintain the friendliness of the site while trying to not needlessly censor the content. There is nothing in the ToS that prevents people from being nice to each other. But some try to out-snark each other and simply post mean or off-topic. That's fine in the Pub, but not in Basic or other Green zones. Please help us by reporting any meanness in those green zones and refrain from responding in kind.

Lowviz
I'm interested to know how you would like to see the green zones moderated. ...//...
OK, one member's viewpoint. Nothing more than that.

Let's pick it apart.

I'm interested to know how you would like to see the green zones moderated. This is a discussion that we will be having and I'm interested in your opinion. How hard of a line would you draw? ...//...
Very hard and very defined. You guys have your finger on the trigger and it is not up for discussion. There is no debate, 'NO' is final.

Is sarcasm ok?...//...
No. Just no.

Should we always err on the side of either it is helpful or it gets deleted? ...//...
Basics. A potential member of the community posts something stupid. The focus is all about the OP. Helpful to whom?

If it is a helpful post except for one or two sentences would you edit the post and leave the part that is ok?...//...
NO. Delete without malice (in entirety) anything that is percieved to be snobbish, arrogant, self-serving, or gratuitous. I'm pretty sure your guys/gals can figure that out in an instant.

Is it ok to be gruff if you mean well....//...
No. Hell no. Is that how you would want your first experience with SB to go?

Do you have to call someone a name or attempt to humiliate them before we should moderate them?...//...
In basics? I'd have them shot long before that.

It's the gray areas that are the hardest. Where would you draw the line. If you got to create the perfect world of the green zones what would it look like?...//...
Wow, tough question. Somewhere that a clueless newbie would dare to post. Best I got, sorry...

Would there be 1-3 mods that were the protectors of the noobs that you better not cross?...//...
Wouldn't that be lovely? :)

What would rise to the level of thread banning a member? How about forum banning? Would every decision require discussion and consensus or would there be a few trusted monarchs of the green zone that took unilateral action?...//...
Nice try, I'm not about to do your job for you.

Who the hell knows what goes on in the backroom?

I realize that is a lot of questions and answering them will take some time and commitment. Please consider taking the time....//...
Thx. I did.

I don't rub anybody's nose in anything. My concern is with the basic structure of the former green zone.

There is no 'green zone' anymore. There is no huggy-kissy 'let me explain the way things work here' anymore.

You come in as a newbie, get your nose bent and then get some sympathy. I've said my piece, nothing more unless asked.

It ain't just newbies ... I've been chased out of the green zones more than once ... sometimes by the board owner. Seems to be a collection of people whose views are wanted in there ... the rest of us are tolerated, at best. Anymore I've found it safer just to stay in The Pub ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob... seriously. As far as I know you're not restricted from posting on any forums.

Restricted, no ... just that sometimes people make it not worth the effort ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Restricted, no ... just that sometimes people make it not worth the effort ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Somehow I can relate to that. I've been a moderator on-and-off for years and there are days that I think twice about logging on because I know there is going to be YET ANOTHER headache to deal with.

I guess it's not only moderators that make life difficult.....

R..

This Thread has been Reopened...

Because this thread had become very heated, with some very personal comments and insults, it was closed and temporarily taken down until it could be cleaned up. That has now occurred and the discussion may resume. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom