Moderation: Too much or too little?

What is your GENERAL feeling about SB moderation?

• I'd like to see more moderation

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I'd like to see less moderation

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I think the current level of moderation is fine.

Votes: 74 66.1%
  • I have another opinion - state below

Votes: 8 7.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, the page I hotlinked it from says "Popcorn Eating - Waiting to See what happens next."

Don't ask me to defend why it was removed as a smiley, I just wanted to make sure the conversation wasn't side tracked by the false idea that the "image" was forbidden.

There used to be a smiley I'd stick in here, but seems that sort commentary has been censored. So I'll just say: :gas:

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

I have been asked in a PM to explain my "Censored" comment.

The :popcorn: "smiley" was simply an image that could be used to express many different ideas and/or emotions, depending on it's placement and use in a particular thread. It could be fun. It might be sarcastic. It might be saying: "let's see where this goes...". I t could have a great many possible uses.

If, as they say, 'A picture is worth a thousand words', then mods turning my desired impact from posting that image into a single word only, have in effect removed @999 words from my desired message.

Not truly censorship in it's true form, but as stifling some member's meanings was the goal in making such a change, it is in effect a form of censorship.

This has an almost poetic ring to it :D

+1
klp

:popcorn: IMO and use, was intended to signify a previous comment/post was dubious in nature or potentially inflammatory (eg. BCD vs BP/W) because of the strong multiple opinions already known within SB. New members may ask such a question in all sincerity, but a veteran may withhold comment in an attempt to remain "green" in a safe zone. So, a :popcorn: is placed to signify that the post was read and the reader will sit back to observe what transpires.

There is nothing inherently malicious in a single smiley :popcorn:

It has also been used often just to say: "this is amusing", or: "I wonder where this will lead"

There are differing things you can be saying with just one smiley.

It has also been used often just to say: "this is amusing", or: "I wonder where this will lead"

There are differing things you can be saying with just one smiley.

Wars have been started over less I guess.

I can't believe I got something as simple as a smiley so wrong. I always thought the smiley mean't this (see bold above). I have always used it with this in mind and have always assumed that when others used it it meant the same thing, now I discover that for some it has an unfriendly meaning:shocked2: Guess I'm more naive than I thought.

Perhaps you should give an example of proper usage in a sentence:D

Seems a little funny given any number of the existing smileys could be taken more than one way depending on the glasses you wear or the thickness of your skin. In fact some of them look just plain evil:eyebrow: and some just rude:dork2:Can I use :coffee: in place of the :popcorn: to convey the above meaning? how is it different from the :popcorn: smiley? to me seems the same as :popcorn" except he/she is holding coffee instead.

I may have missed something but seems a little arbitrary.

Now I'm confused, think I'll avoid any smiley other than:) from now on so as not to unwittingly offend someone.

:coffee:

I can't believe I got something as simple as a smiley so wrong. I always thought the smiley mean't this (see bold above). I have always used it with this in mind and have always assumed that when others used it it meant the same thing, now I discover that for some it has an unfriendly meaning:shocked2: Guess I'm more naive than I thought.

Perhaps you should give an example of proper usage in a sentence:D

Seems a little funny given any number of the existing smileys could be taken more than one way depending on the glasses you wear or the thickness of your skin. In fact some of them look just plain evil:eyebrow: and some just rude:dork2:Can I use :coffee: in place of the :popcorn: to convey the above meaning? how is it different from the :popcorn: smiley? to me seems the same as :popcorn" except he/she is holding coffee instead.

I may have missed something but seems a little arbitrary.

Now I'm confused, think I'll avoid any smiley other than:) from now on so as not to unwittingly offend someone.

:coffee:

:cheers:

After all, this is not Chicago? :)
Or Florida... oh snap! That's why the servers act so weird! They can't count!

How can a Popcorn smilie be used in an unfriendly manner?
As someone pointed out, that particular smiley is often used in much the same way as a crowd would start yelling "Fight! Fight! Fight!" In fact, that smiley is often found in a mob of other porpcorn smileys. We have decided that we don't want to promote that kind of mentality by allowing that smiley to be used so easily.

There's a kernel of truth in that statement. :D

Or Florida... oh snap! That's why the servers act so weird! They can't count!

As someone pointed out, that particular smiley is often used in much the same way as a crowd would start yelling "Fight! Fight! Fight!" In fact, that smiley is often found in a mob of other porpcorn smileys. We have decided that we don't want to promote that kind of mentality by allowing that smiley to be used so easily.

There's a kernel of truth in that statement. :D

Seems to be more like going after the symbolism, rather than directly addressing the underlying action.

Also, a bit like swatting a fly on your dinner table with a sledge hammer. It may address one issue; the fly, but the action has further consequences.

And, in the end, I am quite sure that that pesky fly you were after is not dead, and will only find further methods of annoying you.

Seems to be more like going after the symbolism, rather than directly addressing the underlying action.

Also, a bit like swatting a fly on your dinner table with a sledge hammer. It may address one issue; the fly, but the action has further consequences.

And, in the end, I am quite sure that that pesky fly you were after is not dead, and will only find further methods of annoying you.

I could not agree more, well said.

That makes about as much sense as those who refer to a screwdriver as a burglary tool.

No ... it's a screwdriver ... which has many legitimate uses. If someone uses it as a burglary tool, would you then consider the appropriate action to make screwdrivers unavailable to everyone?

I think if someone does something that's construed as misbehavior, then the ownership of the problem belongs with that person ... not with the tool they used to misbehave ... because if you remove the tool without addressing the person who misused it, they'll just find another tool to do the same thing with ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom