MOD2 what to prepare/know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am thinking about getting MOD2 in the near future with TDI or IANTD.

There aren’t too many people posting reports of their class.

Are there any gotchas or things you regret not preparing before the class or things you should probably prepare or be proficient with?

You can meet the MOD2 class requirements with just 2x AL80 in sidemount setup which also includes your diluent.

Not sure I understand the comment. I have been told by a MOD 2 instructor that I can do the course with just 2x AL80. There are many dive profiles to 60m for which 2xAL80 are sufficient bailout. If you plan for 60 mins bottom time off course you need more.

Not sure I understand the comment. I have been told by a MOD 2 instructor that I can do the course with just 2x AL80. There are many dive profiles to 60m for which 2xAL80 are sufficient bailout. If you plan for 60 mins bottom time off course you need more.
If you suffer a single first stage failure of your dilout cylinder on your Choptima, lets say while penetrating a wreck, what happens?

If you suffer a single first stage failure of your dilout cylinder on your Choptima, lets say while penetrating a wreck, what happens?
In the immediate you swap to your bailout, later you can decide to get another tank from the team.

I was not referring to a penetration dive. Loss of diluent is not crucial if you can start ascending and decompressing as you only need dil on your descent

The one skill I wished I'd practiced more was handing off a bailout . We did it a few times during the course (BSAC btw).

Dive lots, make sure youre comfortable in the water and with all your gear. I really enjoyed MOD2.

Technically you are correct: https://www.tdisdi.com/tdi/get-certified/mixed-gas-closed-circuit-rebreather-diver-course/

The following equipment is required for each student:
1. A complete closed circuit rebreather configured within the
manufacturers recommendations; this should be the student’s personal
unit
2. One (1) CCR mixed gas computer and 1 backup OC/CCR computer for
bailout in the event of a system failure
3. Bailout gas cylinders (minimum 2) with the appropriate capacity for the
planned dive, each equipped with a first and second stage and SPG.
4. Mask, backup mask, fins and a suitable line-cutting device
5. Slate and pencil
6. Reel with a minimum of 60 metres / 200 feet of line
7. Reel with a minimum of 30 metres / 100 feet of line
8. Two lift bags / delayed surface marker buoys (DSMB’s) with adequate
lift and size for the dive environment. Required for open water
environments only.
9. Exposure suit adequate for the open water environment where training
will be conducted
10. Access to an oxygen analyzer
11. Access to a helium analyzer
12. Adequate weight

In the immediate you swap to your bailout, later you can decide to get another tank from the team.

I was not referring to a penetration dive. Loss of diluent is not crucial if you can start ascending and decompressing as you only need dil on your descent

Ummm, presumably, in the aforementioned 2 tank chop diving, you have one deep bailuent and one deco bailout. Grant's question was what if the deep bailuent first stage that is also driving your choptima fails? You intend to switch to your deco gas potentially at the limits of mod 2 which would be 200'? Or are you planning on switching to the failed reg?

Back mounted doubles and 2 deco gasses for me with my chop at 200' ; I'm not putting all of my eggs in one basket that deep, come to think if it I don't ever put all of my eggs in any 1 basket. Anything and everything can fail and it probably will at the worst possible time.

EDIT: looks like LFMarm is assuming an immediate ascent is possible, I personally don't find that an acceptable assumption.

What's in the 2 80s? One with trimix and one with o2 or 'shallow mix'?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom