Mo. Caverns for Cavern Class Training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fleep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have just completed the classroom and linedrills section of my cavern coarse. My instructors would like me to take a vacation to Fla. with them to finish off my training dives in the caverns there, as the only suitable cavern in Mo. they are aware of is Roubidoux (and that has been 'blown out' most of this year i'm told). Personally I would much rather have the dives in Mo. caverns for 2 reasons: 1. I only get 2 wks vacation/yr and I like to, err, relax and do whatever I want on vacation, not worry about schedules and crap. 2. The reason I took the class is that I've heard Mo. has good cave/cavern opportunities for diving, I love dry caving, and it would make sense for me to be trained in local cavern environments similar to where I will be doing most of my future diving.

So my question is: Does anyone know of a decent local cavern where my instructors and I can finish my cavern class dives? Would Bennett be suitable?? Where else could I suggest to my instructors that they might take me to finish my training?

Thx,
Fleep

Consider the N FL trip. I did my cave training over two different week long N FL trips. One for cavern/intro and another for apprentice/full. If you're interested in cave diving, consider adding intro to your trip. The FL caves are truely amazing; one trip, and many people are hooked for life. Although it would be a training trip, it would also be a great vacation. The cost are minimal compared to other dive trips: lodging is cheap, nitrox by the cubic foot, and a state park pass are all you need.

On the other hand, you should be able to get done in MO. If memory serves me, you need two different locations for cavern. ML can be used and RBD should be usable for cavern dives if you pick and choose your times. Since ML has multiple entrances, you might could do the whole thing there. Check with your instructor, that might be stretching the standards a bit.
Good luck

I have just completed the classroom and linedrills section of my cavern coarse. My instructors would like me to take a vacation to Fla. with them to finish off my training dives in the caverns there, as the only suitable cavern in Mo. they are aware of is Roubidoux (and that has been 'blown out' most of this year i'm told). Personally I would much rather have the dives in Mo. caverns for 2 reasons: 1. I only get 2 wks vacation/yr and I like to, err, relax and do whatever I want on vacation, not worry about schedules and crap. 2. The reason I took the class is that I've heard Mo. has good cave/cavern opportunities for diving, I love dry caving, and it would make sense for me to be trained in local cavern environments similar to where I will be doing most of my future diving.

So my question is: Does anyone know of a decent local cavern where my instructors and I can finish my cavern class dives? Would Bennett be suitable?? Where else could I suggest to my instructors that they might take me to finish my training?

Thx,
Fleep

The instructor I used for cavern uses Bennett Springs and RBDX. Bennett is a cool dive (figuratively and literally), but it can only be done in the winter due to trout fishing.

Can cannonball be used for cavern?

I highly reccomend Bennett Springs, it's an awesome dive. In fact the water temp is quite nice, I saw 53 degree's there on the surface, and if you were a cave diver it was open pretty good.

The limitations are many, your dive party can have at most 6 divers, only 4 of which can enter and you have got to have one person watch from the surface. The rest is the standard gear requirements.

I don't have the papers at hand, but I think only one dive party per day, and you must be registered at the Visitors Center. They'll copy your dive information down and you must sign a paper which says you read and agree to the terms.

It's a pretty safe dive, I don't know how you could screw it up and get into trouble so I'd say do it.

No. Cannonball does not have a cavern zone.

Big time!. LOL Not only is there no "daylight zone" 1in the cave, I've never seen a time when there was a "daylight zone" outside the cave. While there is clear spring water outside the spring, the lake water is zero (or near zero) vis just about all the time. As a result, you're in the dark before you even enter the cave/cavern.

Additionally, the entrance is a minor restriction that would probably never do for a cavern class.

fleep, it's a very impressive cave though so it's something to look forward to.

On the other hand, you should be able to get done in MO. If memory serves me, you need two different locations for cavern. ML can be used and RBD should be usable for cavern dives if you pick and choose your times. Since ML has multiple entrances, you might could do the whole thing there. Check with your instructor, that might be stretching the standards a bit.
Good luck

I don't recall ever seeing much daylight anyplace in ML either. It's another great dive (or 100 dives) but not much that's "cavern".

I've never dived bennett but Roubidoux is a great! cavern dive.

Thx for the responses. Bennett is now at the top of my list, it is the only suitable cavern suggested so far. RBD has been 'blown out' most of the year (from what I've been told) and MLM is not really suitable for cavern diving (I've explored all the areas that I thought had potential and unfortunately anywhere that has natural light has <10' vis).

Didn't onondaga cave used to have boat tours-is it just that diving is not permitted? Aren't there any caverns along the meramec to try? Does Meramec Springs ever allow divers? Are RBD and Bennett really the only caverns around?!

---fleep

I was just at Roubidoux earlier this month and the cavern was blown out by the divers, but the vis was clear beyond the sign. There was a work party going on, but any other weekend, I think the vis would be "great." There was no flow that I could detect- not even a boil at the surface.

Big time!. LOL Not only is there no "daylight zone" 1in the cave, I've never seen a time when there was a "daylight zone" outside the cave. While there is clear spring water outside the spring, the lake water is zero (or near zero) vis just about all the time. As a result, you're in the dark before you even enter the cave/cavern.

Additionally, the entrance is a minor restriction that would probably never do for a cavern class.

fleep, it's a very impressive cave though so it's something to look forward to.

I was there Sunday, and it was "light" outside the cave. Probably because the water is cooling off in the lake, and some of the growth is dying off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom