Mk20/r380

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doug Charney

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I bought a MK20/R380 on Craigslist for $75...The first stage looks like brand new, the second isn't bad either. I haven't been able to find much on this configuration. I'm curious if it is a good setup or should I use it for an Octo and buy a better second stage?

I'm trying to set my wife up with a decent rig for a nominal cost.

Great deal!
The 1st stage is as good as it gets; the 2nd is..., well a good octo. Look for a G250 and you'll have a great package.

If the 1st stage has a brass tipped piston, prepare yourself to buy a new piston. That's the main issue (IMO) about buying a MK20. You can pretty easily tell whether you have that piston by checking the IP lockup. The later composite piston, used on the MK25 and retrofitted into the MK20, locks up WAY quicker and more stable. I'm not sure if you're planning on working on the reg yourself, but if not, when you get it checked out just ask if there's any IP creep. If so, have the guy look at the piston and I would recommend just replacing it immediately even if it's not creeping too badly. Believe me, it will....

The R380 is a decent octo, but as zung said if you can find a G250 you'll be happier. Don't get the G250HP; either go for a newer G250V (expensive!) or find a good used original G250. Other great 2nd stage options would be D400 or G200B, or even a S600 if you're dying to spend some cash.

Good point from halocline. I had one such brass piston and it was nothing but trouble.

A quick (but not 100% sure) way to tell: if yours has rather large oval shaped (ambient) holes, it's the later version and should have the good composite piston. If it has the smaller round holes, you stand a (roughly) 10% chance of getting a brass piston.

If you're in friendly terms with your LDS, take it in and have a talk with the guy. Over here, questionable pistons are exchanged under warranty during service, your LDS willing.

I had already intended to take it to be serviced as I didn't ask too many questions for $75. I knew it was worth more than that. My wife is really interested in diving, at the moment, that could change quickly, so I'm not too keen on buying everything new for her, only to have her dive it a handful of times. We're going to Coz in April and Bonaire in May, if she still loves it, I'll be more willing to buy her whatever she wants.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom