Mk15.5 in the Galapagos trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teksimple

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Perhaps you will find this useful if you are heading to the Galapagos with your CCR. I would have liked to have been more informed, myself.

I recently was CCR certified on the Mk 15.5 that I purchased last year. Living in Baghdad and having not much time to dive, I wanted to do a trip where I could get as much time on the rebreather as possible, as well as make it worthwhile for my girlfriend to come along. She had yet to make the move to closed circuit, though it won’t be long, now.

We chose a two week liveaboard trip to the Galapagos booked through Ed Robinson’s Diving Adventures, on board Peter Hughes Sky Dancer. Santiago Dunn of the Guayaquil-based tour company Ecoventura (www.ecoventura.com)is the owner of the Sky Dancer, and Peter Hughes basically serves as the booking agent and provides the reputation.

Preparation
Through and through, the Sky Dancer operation was 100% professional. They were happy to accommodate a rebreather, though they had very little, if any, experience with a closed circuit diver. They offered a full K bottle of O2 at no charge. On the other hand, I made a major logistical mistake by having my Sodasorb sent via USPS mail. It cost me almost $500.00 just for shipping three kegs. In hindsight, it would have cost a few dollars if I would have had it sent via surface cargo through Miami. Santiago Dunn personally worked with me to make sure that my Sodasorb made it through customs and the cargo ship ride to San Christobal from the Ecuadorian port city of Guayaquil, to which I had sent the Sodasorb via USPS a few months beforehand. The Ecuadorian customs first tried to glean as much money as they could by demanding $600, but after sitting in customs for weeks with no one paying for the three kegs, they grew disinterested and relented for not much more than $200.00. Total cost for three kegs of Sodasorb 4-8 HP: $894.00. Eventually Peter Hughes himself got involved. He expressed to me on the phone that rebreathers tend to be “a pain in the ***,” but he would work with me. Apparently this is standard with Ecuadorian customs. If it looks like you really need the stuff, they will demand an accordingly high price. Word to the wise if you plan to go to the Galapagos: send your sorb early, via surface cargo through Miami. Instead of $300 a keg, you can probably skate by with a total of $100 a keg for cost and shipping. And let it sit in customs for a while to reduce the extortion value!

Another problem was the universal airline baggage embargo that is standard during the South American summer. Apparently this is the time of year when the airlines use a lot of space for lucrative cargo. No overweight/oversize baggage, no extra baggage for passengers, no matter how much money you wave at the counter. I had to buy first class tickets for my girlfriend and I so that I could get my rebreather, booster, as well as my camera equipment there (first class allows an extra bag). My Pelican case with which I normally shipped my Mk 15.5 was oversized and thus forbidden during the baggage embargo, so I bought an American Tourister hard suit case from Costco and with a little bubble wrap it fit snuggly.

After having a new Juergensen Hammerhead installed on my Mk 15.5, I did a few checkout dives in Monterey a few days before we left, to iron out the kinks.

Arrival
I almost did not make it on the flight from San Francisco to Houston. The Continental rep called my name while the plane was boarding and told me that I had a piece of luggage that TSA would not allow on the plane. My mistake. I loosened the post valves, but did not remove them completely from the flasks. It was only after pleading with the TSA inspector that I could get them to open the rebreather while I had them on the radio and verify that the gas vessels were empty. Lesson: remove the valves completely from all your gas vessels!

The SkyDancer crew was very interested in my rebreather and for the first few dives hovered over me whenever I took off the cover. My bailout mounted on a titanium butt-mount bracket proved to have poor trim characteristics when using my camera, so I quickly went back to side mount. (In the future, I would like to have a quick release hard point put on the side of the Mk 15.5 like this: http://www.cybermaps.co.uk/cyberbarics/sm1600/brcktunderside.htm).

Diving
With only the minimum number of hours on my rig, the first few dives were really challenging with regard to buoyancy. Add the necessity to keep the video camera steady (especially when filming macro), and I emitted quite a grumbles in the early dives. I will be the first to admit that I am a newbie with the buoyancy thing. But by the end I was doing no-reference safety and deep stops with ease.

The Galapagos is definitely not typical tropical water. In the southern islands, water temperature was in the high 50’s, low 60s. Out of 16 divers on the boat, I was the ONLY one comfortable every dive. Luckily my girlfriend was well prepared and wore a brand new Mares 5mm hooded shorty under a brand new Oneil 7mm full. But she could never outlast me on my rebreather when it came to temperature. I was quite comfortable in an Xcel 7mm full with beanie, though I busted out the 3mm hooded vest for taping batfish at 90 feet in 59 degree water. On the very last dive of the trip, my girlfriend and I were the only ones to do the 2nd dive at Gordon Rocks. Everyone else bailed because of the cold. We were treated to a private guided dive and a view of this deep cave that served as a sea lion graveyard. Awesome! With my rebreather and my PO2 cranked up, I was often able to get down below the thermocline where the visibility was endless and the water freezing. Below 130 feet at places like Punta Vicente Roca and Gordon Rocks, the visibility easily exceeded 150 feet. Above that point the vis might be only 30-40 feet. It was just too cold for everyone else!

Howard Hall describes the myth of invisibility well. For me in the Galapagos, stuff like creeping up on garden eels and batfish, the rebreather absolutely excelled. For hammerhead sharks, I had mixed results. The reason I think is that yes, I may have not been blowing noisy bubbles, but I think I looked rather scary with my black Gates housing and gauges and video lights sticking out (even if the video lights were not on.) The hammerheads would often make a very close pass to me, but if I tracked their motion with the video camera, they were often startled. Sure, the absence of bubbles made shooting directly up for silhouettes very easy. No breath holding needed here.

For whale shark encounters, my Mk 15.5 was worthless. In fact, it was worse than worthless. It was impossible to get enough speed up, even with my Bio Fin Pro XT’s, to swim out to a passing whale shark, whereas some of the fitter open circuit divers on the trip had no trouble whatsoever. At Darwin Island, I was forced to go open circuit in order to have a chance. It paid off. Against a strong current, I was able to keep up with and tape my solo encounter with a giant 45-footer. Unfortunately, I had already deployed my safety sausage from my reel just before the point of putting air in it and it acted like a skinny sea anchor. If I would have stopped and tried to roll it back up, the whale shark would have already gone by. So I still ended up kicking like crazy.

Back in the colder southern islands, my longest dive was 150 minutes at Punta Vicente Roca. Other than that dive and two others where the currents were manageable or predictable, I pretty much had to stay with the group. A rebreather-only boat would have been great. In fact, I did see the Deep Blue at Darwin when we were there. Supposedly that was a rebreather-only trip booked through Silent Diving Systems, though I think it would be a shame to only get to dive one week in the Galapagos. As it was, with two weeks I felt absolutely cheated!! Whale sharks were not as thick as expected this time of year at Darwin and Wolf, where the Deep Blue was hanging out. I thought the southern islands had more diversity and brought out the advantages of a rebreather even better than the northern islands like Wolf and Darwin. In any case, with all the ups and downs, my O2 consumption was very high. I ended up burning almost TWO full K bottles during my trip, instead of the one that I expected. It would have been much different had I done more typical closed circuit profiles. Three kegs of sodasorb was plenty. But I wouldn’t have wanted to bring any less for as many heavy current dives as we did.

Thanks for the trip report and the tips regarding weight and sorb.
I'm glad to hear you finally got to dive, after all the troubles you went through.
Hope in the end the experience was good one worth all the headaches and cussing.

Very cool, does this operation let you do what you want?? and do you have any links to there site???

Thanks for the report

jptrealty:
Very cool, does this operation let you do what you want??

No, I would not say that. According to Ecuadorian law, you cannot dive in the Galapagos without a National Park guide accompanying you. Period. Peter Hughes as an operation is also very conservative when it comes to safety. Nonetheless, after several days of diving with the guides, I was able to demonstrate that I was not reckless. My girlfriend and I also made it a habit of deploying our safety sausages from Dive Rite reels every single dive. Not one other diver did this during our trip. So when I told the guides that I would be staying down to video tape something specific, I am made it clear to the panga driver (it was helpful to be able to speak Spanish) where he could pick me up and that I would pop my safety sausage at a certain time. My girlfriend and I also carried signal mirrors, Dive Alerts, and--at Wolf and Darwin--Sky Dancer-provided 416Mhz Personal Locator Beacons.

So, no, we could not do what we wanted, but the very experienced crew was flexible enough to accommodate me extending my dives at certain protected areas. I did not even try this at Wolf, Darwin, or Roca Redonda.

And the cost? At $6500 for two weeks per person with air fare from Quito, this was by far the most expensive dive trip I have ever done. For that, I had encounters with mola molas, penguins, feeding marine iguanas, whale sharks, schooling hammerheads, silky and Galapagos sharks, schools of jacks that blacked out the sun, red-lipped batfish, numerous sea horses, etc. There really is no place in the world where you can see all of this in one dive trip. Well worth the money, in my opinion.

http://peterhughes.com/Sky/sky_dancerindex.shtml

The operation was very good, but it would have been nice to have other rebreathers divers to make more appropriate profiles, like, say, two 2.5 hour long dives instead of four 1-hour dives. One issue is that I don't think any of the required park guides--even on rebreather-only trips--can afford to dive a rebreather. As it was, both of my guides were using quite a bit of donated equipment from past customers. I left my 7mm Xcel wetsuit as a tip for my main guide, because the guy was freezing in his long ago compressed Scubabapro suit.

I found that by far the most noticeable advantage of going closed circuit in the Galapagos was warmth. EVERYONE ELSE in wetsuits got cold. As the water was slightly warmer this summer due to a mini-el Nino, it would have proved even more worthwhile had the cold upwelling from the Equatorial Countercurrent in the southern islands been stronger.

Thanks for the trip report, I had originally planned to do that trip, but after Ed explained how advanced it was I did not think my wife would have handled it well; she is a bit weak in currents and gets cold in 85 degree water with her custom 7mm. With your report that sure helps re-inforce I made the right decision. Bummer though I would have brought my SCR so there would have been two of us.

Thanks for such a great reply, I'm going to check it out.

I have done the Galapagos trip on OC on the Galapagos Aggressor 2 in winter 2002. You would think getting to Ecuador is the main challenge but it pails in comparison to getting you and your equipment to and from Galapagos itself. Mucho $$ needed and major hassle just for basic OC equipment. The diving was certainly advanced with strong currents, sometime low viz and variable temp. We dived with the Aggressor 2 and was not impressed with either their level of service or safety. I can supply details as needed. This is a franchised operation and it showed. When we went to the senior management at the end of the trip they politely listened to our concerns (which were numerous and noteworthy) but did nothing to rectify the issues we brought up or offer restitution for the inconvenience caused. The words out of one of the senior managers mouth were "welcome to the third world". I reminded him that we were paying first world pricing and expected first world service, this didn't seem to resonate too well. There was one Draegar SCR on board used by Warren Miller and they seemed to take care of it and understand his needs pretty well, but it was one unit out of 16 or so divers. To provide a counter balance the vessel was going into a major drydock a few weeks after we travelled on it, but this should not have affected our experience.

On the flip side of this I went to Cocos on the Seahunter last year and was very impressed with the whole experience. Getting to them is a lot easier and their professionalism, service and safety levels are high. On our trip they had half the guests using CCR or SCR and they did an excellent job of catering to the various demands. Ship and crew were of a far higher standard than we experienced in the Galapagos. Diving was in my experience better in Cocos due to more pelagics and closer location to the dive sites.

Hello Teksimple, glad you managed to finally get some good diving in with your unit. Next time you should try diving on a boat that actually encourages CCR diving. I will never dive with a franchise operation again, too many restrictions and not enough support. You should try the Golden Dawn in Papua New Guinea. Not only is it a very comfortable boat with great food, but the Capt dives CCR and will make sure you get the most out of the trip. I'm going back next July to do some dives up North, the last part of the country I have not dived yet. I think it's the best diving in the world. There's a 1 week all CCR trip in May with lots of WW2 plane-including an intact B-17-and ship wrecks. The trips before and after are also very much worth doing, so you could get in a couple of weeks worth of diving. It can't be any harder to get to PNG from Bagdad than it is getting to Galapagos.-Andy

I have done the Galapagos trip on OC on the Galapagos Aggressor 2 in winter 2002. You would think getting to Ecuador is the main challenge but it pails in comparison to getting you and your equipment to and from Galapagos itself. Mucho $$ needed and major hassle just for basic OC equipment. The diving was certainly advanced with strong currents, sometime low viz and variable temp. We dived with the Aggressor 2 and was not impressed with either their level of service or safety. I can supply details as needed. This is a franchised operation and it showed. When we went to the senior management at the end of the trip they politely listened to our concerns (which were numerous and noteworthy) but did nothing to rectify the issues we brought up or offer restitution for the inconvenience caused. The words out of one of the senior managers mouth were "welcome to the third world". I reminded him that we were paying first world pricing and expected first world service, this didn't seem to resonate too well. There was one Draegar SCR on board used by Warren Miller and they seemed to take care of it and understand his needs pretty well, but it was one unit out of 16 or so divers. To provide a counter balance the vessel was going into a major drydock a few weeks after we travelled on it, but this should not have affected our experience.

On the flip side of this I went to Cocos on the Seahunter last year and was very impressed with the whole experience. Getting to them is a lot easier and their professionalism, service and safety levels are high. On our trip they had half the guests using CCR or SCR and they did an excellent job of catering to the various demands. Ship and crew were of a far higher standard than we experienced in the Galapagos. Diving was in my experience better in Cocos due to more pelagics and closer location to the dive sites.

You should see the thread I started. It's funny, "mossman" is clearly an Aggressor employee. Check it out for yourself:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/south-america/319667-aggressor-ii-galapagos-do-not-go.html

Hello guys,

I live in the islands and I'm a CCR diver (EVO & MEG) and instructor (EVO / INSPI). I have a booster and I can arrange sodalime, CCR cylinders and some spares for CCR diving here. I can also provide premixed trimix, medical grade O2, and the transportation of the units in Ecuador from the mainland to the Galapagos.

I have been diving the archipelago (central and northern islands) for a few years (2001) now and I can serve as a CCR logistics coordinator and trip leader for a supplementary fare. The local divemasters here are not very knowledgeable of CCR diving yet.

For CCR trips here I would highly suggest that you gather a group of at least 8 CCR divers. With a group that size we can arrange a CCR treat in any liveaboard with dedicated CCR diving profiles and support, even if the remaining 8 divers on board are OC. I would bring my own unit and be your trip leader to make sure you get a proper "rebreather friendly" trip. We would need to plan everything in advance of course.

I'm the only CCR and Tech diving instructor who is active in Ecuador and the Galapagos at this time. You can check my blog for further information and contact.

Cheers,

Jorge

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom