MK10/G250 What is the overall opinion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I have everything. I'm sure couv has parts as well. The pressure is checked with an intermediate pressure gauge, anyone who works on regs must have one. There is no decorative ring on the older G250 so the advice about the G250V is not an issue. However, soaking, not just rinsing, in fresh water after every salt water dive is an excellent idea for any regulator.
In general how long would a rebuild take to do for someone like youself. Someone that knows what they are doing?

---------- Post added ----------

halocline, just sent you a PM.

Hello Neighbor,

Sorry I'm late to the party....PM sent.

Couv

I don't know about any case geometry changes, but the covers, diaphragms, and venturi assist vanes all seem to fit all the regs, except there are a couple of different styles of VIVA vanes I've run across. The new ones fit the older cases. I think the air barrels are all the same. The levers have changed, including angles and geometry, but the new levers work with the old regs going back to the metal 109.
Here is what they said. Sorry for the type style it was a cut and paste.

The first generation of the G250 can be identified by the short VIVA adjustment, a metal adjustment knob, a blue diaphragm, screws that secure the exhaust cover on and the purge button sticker has the word SCUBAPRO G250 below in boxes. This version weighed in at only 9.52 ounces which is considerably lighter than the Balanced Adjustable.

In 1987 the G250 Graphite was introduced. This housing was amorphous polyamide reinforced with fiberglass and graphite. This lowered the weight to 8.75 ounces. These new cases have much better internal aerodynamic design and it directs the airflow more efficiently towards the mouthpiece. The appearance is identical except for the purge button sticker which read SCUBAPRO with G250 Graphite below.

Okay, so it has a stronger venturi assist. I'm not at all sure that translates into "much better aerodynamic etc.." but it does apparently lower overall WOB scores on a test machine. Personally I don't like too much venturi assist, it doesn't feel natural to me and I suspect that it's a contributing factor to more dry mouth sensation. I've never been able to tell a difference between the various G250 models I've worked on or used, except the G250HP definitely feels a bit different, and of course it's different to work on due to the more complicated balance chamber/seat saver arrangement.

In general how long would a rebuild take to do for someone like youself. Someone that knows what they are doing?

halocline, just sent you a PM.

Tried to reply but it said you've exceeded your quota. If you clear out a few messages I'll send it again.

Okay, so it has a stronger venturi assist. I'm not at all sure that translates into "much better aerodynamic etc.." but it does apparently lower overall WOB scores on a test machine. Personally I don't like too much venturi assist, it doesn't feel natural to me and I suspect that it's a contributing factor to more dry mouth sensation. I've never been able to tell a difference between the various G250 models I've worked on or used, except the G250HP definitely feels a bit different, and of course it's different to work on due to the more complicated balance chamber/seat saver arrangement.

Tried to reply but it said you've exceeded your quota. If you clear out a few messages I'll send it again.
Ok, made some room in my private messages.

It shouldn't take long, 60-90min tops to clean/inspect/service a reg set. A bit less for just one fist and one second as long as they aren't really nasty inside.

I want to give a big shoutout to couv. Just got back from visiting him where we took a look at my estate sale mk 10/G250. It is now official I got one hell of a deal for $27. This reg look in excellent shape inside and out. While we had it apart we went ahead and cleaned it and changed some orings. Looking forward to trying these out soon.

Congrats, hope you like it.

Got it, it was more advertising than anything else. I have a 250 like the one the OP has, I received as part of a package deal. Didn't know if I should keep it or rebay it for a newer model.

I attached my MK10 that I bought to my tank today. It made a sound like a slight leaking

It probably needs to be rebuilt. O-rings get brittle over time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom