MK10/G250 What is the overall opinion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a heads up, some less than honest shops may tell you that it is too old to be serviced....that is pure BS. A good shop won't but be prepaired to say thanks and walk out knowing you were just lied to. Then do what a lot of us have done, learn to service it yourself.

If you are interested in learning to self-service, Couv is in Houston, he's very knowledgeable, and if you want to drive to San Antonio I can give you a hand.

Herman is right about some dive shops not wanting to service 'older' gear.

Actually, it's a good test for the LDS: the good guys would say "wow"; and if they say "too old", RUN!

I had a tech tell me about 5 months ago that the regs are so old that Scubapro stopped making the service kits for them. I checked with the Scubapro Western Sales rep when he was in town and he said that this is absolutly not true. The MK10/G250 is one of their most popular regs with millions in use. They do not plan to discontinue the service kits any time soon.

If you are interested in learning to self-service, Couv is in Houston, he's very knowledgeable, and if you want to drive to San Antonio I can give you a hand.

Thanks. I might just have to check with Couv or take you up on your offer. Do you have any tools to properly check the pressure.

I had a tech tell me about 5 months ago that the regs are so old that Scubapro stopped making the service kits for them...

What a great tech you've got!

The G250 uses the same kit as "BAL. ADJ., S555, S600, G250HP", and that's exactly what's printed on the package. Guess he's never seen one in his life.

The MK5/10 can be a bit more critical: they were last made in 1995, and it's up to SP to decide between stop making the kit to force the oldtimers to upgrade, and run the risk of the same oldtimers demanding a free upgrade based on their former free parts for life policy.

Since I like to play it safe, I've got a dozne Trident seats stashed away just in case.

Be sure to rinse any G250V pretty thoroughly after saltwater use. I had my cover off recently and showing some
signs of corrosion on a rivet that holds the decorative ring on the front cover. It's actually just a tab I guess but
not sure if it is available by itself. I sometimes just quickly rinse under a beach type shower but will now give it
a seperate soak. Sometimes these parts can get expensive to replace. I like the G250V a lot and have it paired with
the MK17 so cannot comment on the MK10.

Another thing it would be awesome if I had the reg available for my trip, but think it would be hard to have it looked at before I leave on June 25. I know there isn't any shop locally that could service it and have it back that quick unless I paid $25 extra. That is also assuming they have the parts on hand. Do you happen to have the kits for both the Mk 10 and G250 if needed? Right now it is just a want to have it available for the trip. I have an Atomic B2 setup with a long hose so I'm covered for my cavern class already.

What were the changes in the G250 over time? If I remember correctly the new OP (the guy who resurrected this thread) had the oldest version with the G250 in block letters. According to the Scuba Pro museum the case geometry was changed with the G250 Graphite. Any other changes over time besides the poppets?

Yes, I have everything. I'm sure couv has parts as well. The pressure is checked with an intermediate pressure gauge, anyone who works on regs must have one. There is no decorative ring on the older G250 so the advice about the G250V is not an issue. However, soaking, not just rinsing, in fresh water after every salt water dive is an excellent idea for any regulator.

---------- Post added ----------

What were the changes in the G250 over time? If I remember correctly the new OP (the guy who resurrected this thread) had the oldest version with the G250 in block letters. According to the Scuba Pro museum the case geometry was changed with the G250 Graphite. Any other changes over time besides the poppets?

I don't know about any case geometry changes, but the covers, diaphragms, and venturi assist vanes all seem to fit all the regs, except there are a couple of different styles of VIVA vanes I've run across. The new ones fit the older cases. I think the air barrels are all the same. The levers have changed, including angles and geometry, but the new levers work with the old regs going back to the metal 109.

Back
Top Bottom