MK-15 series vs. Inspiration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abyssalblue

Registered
Reaction score
I have done what i consider exstensive research into both the Inspiration and the Mk-15 series rebreathers. Growing up i came to think of the "classic" rebreather being the MK-15 with it's unique spheres. I understand that the Inspiration is popular and boasts over 5000+ units produced, but what about the MK-15's and their 35+ years in the US Navy? Being somewhat new to rebreathers i can see where a "newbe" rebreather diver would be drawn to a shinny, yellow, new Inspiration, but what about looking down the road to the MK-15?I understand the Inspiration's availibility of parts, ease of use, and over all good design, but it seems like everyone has one. They seem stamped out and ununique.I understand that no rebreather is perfect and that all rebreathers are somewhat different. I would like to here some responses from both die hard Inspiration divers and hopefully some trusty Mk-15 divers. I have been told that the Mk-15 series has a superior scrubber design (15.5/16). As far as parts go, from what i have been told parts are availible as long as you know where to look. And Carleton Inc. currently manufactures MK-16's, can you go to them for parts? ($$$$) Thank all of you for your replies.

Todd Lovstrom

abyssalblue:
I have done what I consider extensive research into both the Inspiration and the Mk-15 series rebreathers.

I understand the Inspiration's availibility of parts, ease of use, and over all good design, but it seems like everyone has one.

I would like to hear some responses from both die-hard Inspiration divers and hopefully some trusty Mk-15 divers. I have been told that the Mk-15 series has a superior scrubber design (15.5/16). As far as parts go, from what I have been told parts are availible as long as you know where to look. And Carleton Inc. currently manufactures MK-16's, can you go to them for parts? ($$$$) Thank all of you for your replies.

Todd Lovstrom

Todd,

I'll take your questions point by point if I may. I am an Inspiration divier and instructor, and, while I really like the unit, I would not describe myself as a die-hard Inspiration user. If I had to describe myself, it would be as a fan of the Inspiration, and a die-hard RB diver.

(1) You note that the Inspiration is widely used. That would be because not only is it an effective diving machine, but it is also the world's only CE approved and DERA tested ECCR in mass production. If you take EVERY other rebreather in existence and stacked them in a pile, there would still be MORE Inspirations in existence than all the others COMBINED. So, availability of parts world-wide is assured.

(2) If it is your desire simply to dive a rebreather that almost no-one else has, I would suggest you contact Dave Sutton and have him help you produce your very own IDA-71M (for modified).

(3) The argument over radial versus axial scrubber has some merits on both sides. The Inspiration will do what you want it to do, however, for long enough in the water to turn you into a white raisin.

(4) You can get some parts for the Marks from various people, but, no, Carleton will not sell you one.

Hope this helps! Happy bubble-less diving!

As I know there is one more CE approved RB (Voyager from Aqua3). DAN also uses this unit for it's tests with RB's

Abyssalblue,

I own and dive both an Inspiration and 15. I don't have a favorite...they're both really strong in different areas. I originally choose the 15 for some of the reasons you pointed out in your post. The 15 had a ton of dives on it and I felt comfortable with the design. I wasn't overly concerned with the parts availability issue, because I felt like I could make or find any part I needed. So far I've been right, but sometimes I've spent a considerable time making that happen. I've also spent a lot of money on the 15 for items that I did not originally plan for. In the water, I've come to really appreciate the hydrodynamics of the 15...it swims really well. I also appreciate not having my chest cluttered with counterlungs. Many people disagree on this next point, but I feel the unit breathes very well. The notable exception is the positive lung load you experience when you swim upside down (on your back, looking up)...the slang for this is "chipmunk cheeks" and this is pretty accurate. I'm still surprised how dramatic this is. But in a prone or supine position, I think it breathes great. A notable draw back, is that the unit is not very flood tolerant. Even modest amounts of water (like from practice drills) in the unit will cause you to hear gurgling in the exhaust hose, although it takes a pretty huge amount of water to actually get the canister wet, and even more to soak it enough to get a caustic cocktail. Another thing I've heard people complain about, but have not found to be uncomfortable is the oxygen and diluent addition paddles behind your back on the sides of the unit. Isn't much of a stretch to get to, and I find them easily. My unit is equipped with Juergensen fourth generation electronics, and I would recommend this upgrade to anyone. I elected to keep the analog secondary display, which you can easily manually fly the unit with, should your electronics die for some reason (it runs off the cell voltage…needs no batteries, and is very robust.) The original harness on most all units have long deteriorated, and most units are converted to some sort of wing and harness arrangement. I've tried several arrangements, and I've found Oxycheq's O-pack and Signature series wing to be pretty awesome. Although I originally thought cleaning the rig after diving was a huge pain, I’ve come to learn it is better than I originally thought. The bad points of the MK15 are the availability of parts (I'm currently looking for a counterlung for mine), the persistent leaks in the Swagelock fittings, the fiberglass hull and cover (most are old and starting to deteriorate), the packing of the canister (takes me 45 minutes but is a non issue on the 15.5's or 16's, although as far as I know there are only 2 MK16's in existence outside the Military), and the spheres (even though they are the ideal shape to hold a gas, they're really hard to find, extremely expensive when you do, I haven't found a place to hydro them...don't even know if you're supposed to, and some places won't fill them because they're not DOT approved or in hydro.)

The reason I bought an Inspiration was because I wanted a rig that was more reliable…and I think the Inspiration is at or near the top of that list. Some people have reported trouble with the electronics, but I think the vast majority of people have found them to be trouble free….my only complaint with them is that they are only setpoint controllers…I’ve been spoiled by the on board decompression in my Juergensen Gen 4’s on the 15. The Hammerhead is currently available which adds Heads Up Display (HUD) with a vibrating alarm, trimix deco, and holds setpoint very tight (w/o cell drift.) APV is also going to introduce the Evolution (w/ 2 hour canister duration) and another version with longer duration that will have new electronics with these features (latest release date is end of May.) On diving the unit, I found it to breathe very easily in every position (very similar, or only slightly better than the 15). Upside down it’s still somewhat uncomfortable, but considerably better than the 15. The unit is not as streamlined in the water, and a little harder to swim…but still pretty good. The canister packs very easily (only takes me about five minutes to pack it properly) and has a 3 hour rated duration. (Some say the rating is conservative and actually lasts longer…but scrubber is cheap…why push it?) The unit sets up pretty easily, and there are very few “gottcha” type items. (Quite a few on the 15.) The unit comes standard with a pretty nice harness and wing setup. It’s definitely not Hogarthian…there is a lot of junk hanging on your front, and the D rings aren’t my favorite…but you can easily change them out or fit a new harness and wing. Compared to the 15, I find the counterlungs to take up quite a lot of real estate on my chest. They’re considerably less obnoxious if you use a crotch strap. An ADV is available as an option. I first considered it mandatory, and it does reduce task loading, but is less of an issue than I originally thought…although I’m still glad to have it sometimes. The unit comes standard with ADV’s version of the AIR2. Although I like the AIR2 for recreational OC diving, I dislike it on the Inspiration. It makes donating air to a buddy very uncomfortable. (In OC you donate your primary and switch to the AIR2…in CC you’d stay on the loop and donate your AIR2…now your panicked out of air diver is 1 foot away from you, and in control of your BC. The MK15 doesn’t have any provisions standard…most carry a pony.) Now I carry a pony on all dives, even shallow and/or short dives, in the future I plan on switching my Inspiration to a standard inflator and octopus. The Inspiration is easier than the 15 to do a quick cleaning…but tougher to do a good cleaning, because of access to the inside of the counterlungs. My Inspiration has the ABS plastic case and cover…it seems to be very durable. I’ve ordered several spare parts from Silent Diving (the US distributor) and received my parts quickly and without issue or hassle. I’ve found Cliff and Mike to be very professional and easy to work with.

Both rigs pack for shipping and travel about the same. The 15 in a large UK box ends up being a little lighter and easier to move around (wheels) than the standard Inspiration box. I haven’t changed the Inspiration box, because it will push the weight up over 70…bad for flying, as it is I have to take a cylinder out of the rig, and pack it in another bag to get to 70 lbs. I’m more worried when I ship my 15…I know I can get another Inspiration that looks just like the one I have…
In closing, if I had to pick one rig between the 15 and Inspiration, I’d have to pick the Inspiration. But I really like diving and can’t imagine selling my 15. Oh yeah…the Inspiration is 2/3 the cost…forgot to mention that.

Later,
Ryan

PS You didn't ask about it, but the Megladon is worth a closer look, too. I haven't dove one (yet) but I've looked at it closely and it looks like it's extremely well machined and put together...and I think Leon has a reputation of taking care of his customers. Tom Mount (head of IANTD) dive's a Meg...

You know, something struck me as odd when I first saw this photo, and it is starting to make me think more........notice the stainless steel clip at the 6 o' clock position at the back center of the top of the scrubber......what would happen if it got hung up on something and popped up?

Voyager is ce certified for CCR to.
Friend of mine is instructor trainer for thi unit and one of five test divers that for DAN.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom