MJ850 - cheap. Too good to be true?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear forum members,

I just joined the Scubaboard forum because of this interesting subject. My dive light is a NaturalShine Big Fish, sold by a Spanish company. Looking at the the pictures of the MagicShine MJ-850 and my own light, I'm convinced they are identical. I bought it last February on the BOOT fair in Düsseldorf, Germany, for a fair price, including a sturdy case. In July I used it on the first dive below 20 meters. After a while I noticed a little water inside, and I was able to tighten the glass retention ring with my bare hand. That must have worked as no new water came in. I kept it vertically during the rest of the dive to prevent damage to the electronics. Back on the boat I managed to remove the glass, clean and dry the internals successfully after which it functioned again. Till two weeks ago, when I switched it on and off for a short usage (on land). The next day it refused completely. Batteries were surely fully charged. There was no visible damage or corrosion caused by the earlier partial flooding. With the multimeter I measured about 13 mA standby current in off position, 15 mA in all other positions. So my conclusion is: there is still some electronic activity.

After reading this thread I conclude my light has a blue PCB marked MJ-284. Michael, does this failure mode also exist for the blue one?

I'm no trying to get a new LED & driver unit from the supplier. It is still under warranty. As a back-up plan I can replace the PCB myself. Micheal, I have the impression you sell them?

Some of my observations and experiences I would like to share with you all:
1. The replacing O-rings for the body I used are AS 568A-125 32.99 x 2.62 NBR 70 ShoreA
2. The O-ring behind the glass is metric 50 x 2.5.
3. I would not replace it with a harder one. This seal in an axial groove works best if there is no gap between glass and metal through which the O-ring can extrude under pressure. I tried to tighten the retention ring with the standard O-ring fitted to the same position as without, which was a hardly possible. Harder O-ring rubber makes it harder to close the gap.
4. Also, I see no reason to use a lubricant on this stationary seal. Lubricants should only be used on O-rings that experience a sliding or rotating movement from the counterpart.
5. I would not rely on the plastic cap on the back of the driver to pull the brass ring out. You may strip the thread off. Or was anybody successful using it as an extraction tool?
6. If anyone wants to make an extraction tool himself: the thread is a non-standard M29 x 1, so you have to find somebody with a lathe as I don't know any standard component (fitting) with this thread that can be modified for this purpose.
7. The tool I made to turn the retention ring is a 3 mm thick steel plate 53 x 30 mm with 4 edges fully rounded. clamp it in a vice, place the light on top and rotate the light. That's better and safer than using a pair of spread scissors.

Sape

After reading this thread I conclude my light has a blue PCB marked MJ-284. Michael, does this failure mode also exist for the blue one?
You do not see the LED glowing in the dark?
I am convinced, that the same part will be broken as usual. It is always the same part that will be burned.

And your impression is right, I do sell the lights and also spare parts. The problem for you is, in Germany I normally do sell to my customer only. The purpose is, that I do not want provide spare parts to people who imported the light by themself. I do not want to be used just as spare part vendor.

Your points 1-7 are absolutely correct.

Best regards, Michael

Michael,

Thanks for for reply. No I don't see any light coming from the LED. I'll make myself a tool to dismantle the driver housing and look for the failed component. I'll post the results here.

In the mean time the Spanish supplier made me an offer to replace the lamp with their latest model Fish Ng Spot 2000 for only shipping costs which I accepted. Nevertheless, I try to repair the BigFish or MJ-850, whatever you like. Still a nice back-up lamp when it works.

Best regards,

Sape

Dear Forum members and readers,

I had a tool made to extract the brass ring. Indeed, Michael was right, it was the suspect component on the PCB that failed. It was fried beyond recognition. There is even a small vulcano on top. IMG_2670.jpg

Sape

Hi,
To remove the PCB, should I remove the reflector? If so, does it unscrew?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Regards
Laurent

I would not recommend buying one. I bought one 2 months ago, new version with black o-rings. Always had difficulty changing modes, didn't work well from the start. Tightened everything up, monitored it during the first dive, the bezel never got loose. Stopped working at 40ft due to pressure. Then started to work again at 30ft, then flooded. DX has not responded to any requests for warranty.

Unit is dead. This is money wasted. These cheap lights are fine for land but the design is not reliable for diving.

Steer clear.

I must have got lucky. I bought mine ~6 months ago and have ~25 dives on it usually going down ~100'. My only problem is that the batteries only last 1 hour, instead of 2-2.5 hours. But the guys at Novae are sending out a new set of batteries.

These mfg keeps coming out with new lights, but they never seem to fix the issue on their old light or the same thing keeps reoccuring on the new lights). Are these designed based on theories, specs and bench testing instead of actual field use?

What kind of run times are people getting with this light? I am wondering if ~ 1 hour is normal or not?

Hi,
To remove the PCB, should I remove the reflector? If so, does it unscrew?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Regards
Laurent

Laurent,

Indeed you have to remove the reflector. Simply unscrew it. First remove the cap at the back and the batteries. Next mark position of the ring that retains the glass, as during re-assembly, you must be sure to tighten the ring to at least the same position. Remove the ring with a tool (steel plate 53 x 3 x 30 mm, with full rounds at two corners) Remove the glass, if it adheres to the O-ring, gently blow on the back end. Then unscrew the reflector. There are two notches in the outer edge for this purpose. Underneath you'll find another, smaller retention ring that holds the LED and driver unit inside the light body. There is also a plastic washer around the LED that prevents a short circuit between the LED power supply caused by the reflector bottom. After you removed this unit, unscrew the black cap. You have to make an extraction tool with M29 x 1 that fits the brass bushing. Also cut a piece of tube that fits around the driver unit. With a threaded rod M6, a couple of M6 nuts and big washer you are able to extract the brass bushing with the PCB inside. Next, you have to remove the soldering that binds the PCB to the bushing. Also disconnect the wires between LED and PCB. Pry the LED up from its seat and the heat conducting compound, otherwise your soldering iron can't heat the joint sufficiently. When assembling make sure you put sufficient heat conducting compound underneath the LED and between driver unit and lamp housing.

Good luck,

Sape

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom