Mixing stick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterpirate

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Well I am finnally ready to build my stick. Just a couple questions that were not clear from the hacker manual. Is there a relationship between the size of the stick and the capacity of the commpressor? I plan on using my stick with a bauer 9.6cfpm unit. Would a four inch stick be better than a 2 inch?
Can you create a tortured path using just baffles and not plugs with holes drilled in them?
Any advice from people who have already built or have experience please chime in.
Eric

After reading the Oxygen Hackers Companion countless times and gathering much info from The Deco Stop, I decided to build a 3 inch continuous blender for my 6 cfm Bauer Capitano, I used practice golf balls (wiffle Balls with holes in them) for the baffles they work great.
I used a 2" vacuum hose from Sears between the Mixing stick and the Compressor.
Its a perfect fit on the compressor intake, easy on and off.
I also placed three 3 inch pvc drain screens internally, one at the bottom one in the middle and one in the top to create three individual chambers for the balls
No glue was used to assemble it, it all fits together very tight, I used stainless screws on the reducer on the bottom just for added strength.
Air filter on the top is from Home Depot (Vacuum Cleaner filter) held on by a bolt from the top drain screen and a nut on the top.
I also attached a copy of the visio file I drew when I was originally designing the stik.
Good luck on yours, I had a blast building mine and its great for gas hacking.

Attachments

• Red Stik Fill Station 10-24-06 (6).jpg
    Red Stik Fill Station 10-24-06 (6).jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 321
  • Intake Hose.jpg
    Intake Hose.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 276
  • Red Stik.jpg
    Red Stik.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 271
  • Stik.jpg
    Stik.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 308
That is pure genius, practice balls. What kind of regulator do you use on your o2 tank to feed the stick? Did you do an original orifice or just roll with the regulator? What is the typical pressure you use at inlet to the stick?
I know I have a lot of questions, but I am trying not to repeat someone elses learning curve.
Eric

I built two sticks. One is using a just baffles, the other is a traditional Oxyhacker design. But, in performance wise, it doesn’t matter because the primary function is a mixing gas.

You can save a lot time if you only use the baffles.

Holy Cow!!! It is a Fxxx great idea to use a waiffle balls. We can make a stick within a half hour by using this method without having any cutting tools. I like it.

waterpirate:
That is pure genius, practice balls. What kind of regulator do you use on your o2 tank to feed the stick? Did you do an original orifice or just roll with the regulator? What is the typical pressure you use at inlet to the stick?
I know I have a lot of questions, but I am trying not to repeat someone elses learning curve.
Eric
I have a pair of Harris 425-125 Regs with needle valves on the output one for O2 & one for He.
Once I got it set up it enabled me to set the O2 reg on ~40psi to have ~40% and I plotted it downward from there, I have a chart that I can use to preset it for whatever percentage I want, then it only takes minor adjustments, I'm only monitoring the output mix, normally it takes 5 minutes to see any change on the output.

Attachments

• He Reg & Needle Valve.jpg
    He Reg & Needle Valve.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 232
  • Graph.jpg
    Graph.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 232
Thank you all for the info.
It looks looks like next weekend the proto-type is going to emerge from the shed.
I will keep you all posted, and report back on performance.
Eric

I only monitor output percentage as well, although my output pressure is a little higher at 40% so I'm not draining my 02 bottles as much so I loose a couple buck each tank.

Hi all,
Just curious about everyones 02 sensor set up, prior to the compressor?
My current thinking is to tap the output, install ball valve and flow meter, and attach my new oms o2 analyser. Any thoughts on this, or examples of what you have done that is effective?
Eric

An example of one used post compression.

http://www.allenhost.com/gallery/v/DiveSki/Fill+Station/DSC02827.JPG.html

I have heard of installing one after the first stage which would show results much sooner than after going through all compresssor stages.

waterpirate:
Hi all,
My current thinking is to tap the output, install ball valve and flow meter, and attach my new oms o2 analyser. Any thoughts on this, or examples of what you have done that is effective?
Eric

waterpirate:
Hi all,
Eric
My last filter stack is fitted with a needle valve/orifice that I vent out to my Analyzer.
Also allows me to release all the pressure from my stacks for media changes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom