Mixing stick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm setting up my mixing stick and want to include a normally closed 120v solenoid for the oxygen flow that I will wire into the compressor cutoff circuit. Any suggestions for the best/cheapest/safest solenoid to use and a source? Thanks.

-brian

Let me know if you find one. Another alternative would be to use some type of motor starter that wouldn't allow the motor to turn back on if you ever lost power.

That is really the main risk; a power loss, stick gets loaded with O2, then the power comes back on and caboom!

Since once the valve is closed the pressure inside the solenoid valve and line will gradually build to the set pressure of the reg, and then maybe higher if the seat is leaky as many old regs are. So the a solenoid cutoff valve if fitted really ought to be rated for 02 and rated for a fairly high pressure. These can be hard to find and often expensive.

One way around this is to use a three way solenoid, set so that rather than cutting off the flow when the power goes off, it dumps the flow into the atmosphere. This wastes a bit of oxygen, but mean the O2 pressure in the valve never exceeds atmospheric pressure, so almost any solenoid valve can be used.

A magnetic starter to prevent accidental restarts is a very good idea too. It really depends on how safe you want to be - and how much you trust your ability to monitor the process.

I'm setting up my mixing stick and want to include a normally closed 120v solenoid for the oxygen flow that I will wire into the compressor cutoff circuit. Any suggestions for the best/cheapest/safest solenoid to use and a source? Thanks.

-brian

The valve in the picture is a porportional solenoid valve with a linear amplifier, costs about $800. Runs on 24 volts and requires a control signal. I'm quite certain that's not the valve you want, so I wouldn't use that as your example.

But I do sell just what you are looking for as a complete kit, available in either 110 or 220 volts...

Rubber Duckie Designs Nitrox Safety Valve

Derek,

Is there any tip or info that we can build a Nitrox Saftey Valve instead of paying $300 for the off the shelf product?

I had that soleniod valve custom built to spec, and I assemble the kits myself. You can buy it from me, and I can assure you that it will work (backed by a waranty). Or you can do the engineering yourself, try to figure out what you need, pay for a non-returnable item, and hope it works for you... Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom