Oxy Hackers Nitrox Stick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CowMan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For those of you who have built your own Nitrox continuous mixer based on Oxy Hackers book, What CFM is your compressor, what diameter and length is your mixing chamber and last but not least, how many baffles did you put in? In the book he uses 2" pipe 24" long for a 8 CFM compressor with four baffle caps in the picture.

I see no reason not to go bigger. Mine is 3x24 for my 6cfm compressor. It is filled with wiffle balls. It stays very stable in use needing almost no adjustment even when running for several hours.

Mine is 3 inch pvc, probably 30-36 inches long, but I can measure it. I bought bio-balls (for aquariums) as opposed to wiffle balls. I think wiffle balls are just as good most likely, but a few people have said that bioballs are better. I was lucky enough to have a good relationship with my compressor guy who builds professional quality nitrox sticks. He offered to plumb mine the way he does his metal ones. So after I made it, he tapped in the line coming from the dwyer needle valve into the stick. He also added his custom oxygen sensor holder so the unit sits on the stick, as well as added an oxygen solenoid that cuts off when the compressor does, and a overpressure device so backpressure can't build in the oxygen line (which I didn't know was a thing). I believe it looks identical to Ray's except my stick is PVC. He also added a plastic brillo scouring pad on top of the bioballs. He said he likes the gas to go through a small area of smaller holes first then through the balls. The stick works flawlessly and needs minimal adjustment. Usually only adjustments are needed when the supply bottle is low and the oxygen reg isn't working perfectly.

I actually am in the process of buying a used Tri-Hunter 6000 for my Trimix needs. I was going to build a second stick and connect it to my current stick, so the first stick would mix helium and the second would add the oxygen. But then you have to figure out the drops in 02 levels on your sensor which coordinates with helium levels. The Tri-hunter I'm getting is at a very reasonable price, so I decided it's worth the money to not waste time doing it myself. I'm actually a little sad to not be using my nitrox stick anymore. I plan to hook up the Tri-hunter and run it for a little while to see how it does with Nitrox alone compare to my current stick. If it's not as "set it and forget it" as my Nitrox stick then I may actually just keep both on the wall, using mine for Nitrox (which is 95% of my fills) and the Tri-Hunter just for trimix. Then I'd have to find a way to have both simultaneously attached to my compressor inlet. I'm thinking a y-shaped ball valve that allows both sticks to feed into the main intake line, and then I can just shut off the side I'm not using with the ball valve. Good news is I talked to Wayne who builds the Tri-Hunter and he was telling me he turns on his compressor and then drives around town doing errands for a few hours, and comes home to a filled bank that's 100% on point. So I'm hoping the Tri-Hunter works as expected. I know Wayne personally and know he's not full of bull about driving away for hours. I don't know that I'd get the same accuracy though, since I'm filling a smaller amount.

If it works as well as I hope, I may be selling my Nitrox stick FYI

I removed the scouring pads. They made the air smell like plastic and based on my performance they were not needed. When I got rid of them I got rid of the plastic taste. Ymmv. I agree that there is a certain satisfaction in having a system that works as well as this stick does.

I removed the scouring pads. They made the air smell like plastic and based on my performance they were not needed. When I got rid of them I got rid of the plastic taste. Ymmv. I agree that there is a certain satisfaction in having a system that works as well as this stick does.

Yeah, I was worried about the scouring pad being too restrictive, but he vacuum tested it before giving it back. Oddly the pad weirds me out more than the bioballs so every year or so I take a look inside to see how it looks and it's not degrading. Luckily I didn't have any smell issues from the pad, though the inlet hose to the compressor I used did so it may have masked it.

It's very sad that I'm so attached to my stick it's hard to move on to an "upgrade." We've had so many good times together I guess.

I finally found an odor free inlet hose.

We have a Bauer Junior II which is 100 litres/min (3.5 cfm). Ouroxygent stick is 100 mm diameter (4 inch) and perhaps 500 mm long (20 inches). I think I put in 10 baffles. We have been using for about seven years, works perfectly and always get a consistent percentage.

I finally found an odor free inlet hose.
Care to share your findings?

What pressure or flow range of Oxygen regulator are you guys using for your sticks?

I'm collecting parts for a mixing stick.

Mine is about 3' long made of 2" pvc. I found some tiny plastic fans that fit inside and used them for dividers between whiffle balls. Very consistant with my tiny 1.8cfm compressor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom