Mixing brands of regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are there any inherent problems in purchasing a good quality primary reg. from say Sherwood and then getting say a Mares Proton Metal Octopus?

Could I use 2 Mares Proton Metal Octopi 1 as a primary and 1 as backup?

Am also considering a Sherwood Gemini combination inflator/safe second octopus. Is there any problem using that device with another brand regulator as my primary reg.?

Comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

Hi Sy,

Our company line is to say we do not recommend using other brand products in conjunction with Mares products. While this is our point of view, you will find many people mix and match with no problems. At the end of the day this is for you to decide.

Best regards,

Assuming they are designed to work with similar Intermediate pressures, different brands will work together. However, I also recommend against mixed brand regs. At service time you would need a tech who can service both sherwood and mares. Single brand is simpler.

Assuming they are designed to work with similar Intermediate pressures, different brands will work together. However, I also recommend against mixed brand regs. At service time you would need a tech who can service both sherwood and mares. Single brand is simpler.

Agreed. Some level of testing/adjusting will be required to make them play nice together. Just stay away from Poseidon, they are in a significantly different IP realm.

If someone dropped them on my doorstep I would not think twice about having the adjustments done. Buying alacarte to play Frankenstien matchmaker is just looking for hassles.

I'm not fan of inflater/octo units. IMO just say NO.

Pete

Pete,

Can you give your specific reasons?

The reason I ask is that I had gotten the impression years ago that many people had objections based upon potentional air sharing problems as well as some inherent design problems of the Combo inflator/octo units including confusion about hitting the right inflate or deflate button or the purge button by accident or somesuch.

However recent issues of Scuba Diving Magazine and others definitely give the impression that these have become widely used and a "mainstream" device.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

>I'm not fan of inflater/octo units. IMO just say NO.

Pete[/QUOTE]

Pete,

Can you give your specific reasons?

The reason I ask is that I had gotten the impression years ago that many people had objections based upon potentional air sharing problems as well as some inherent design problems of the Combo inflator/octo units including confusion about hitting the right inflate or deflate button or the purge button by accident or somesuch.

However recent issues of Scuba Diving Magazine and others definitely give the impression that these have become widely used and a "mainstream" device.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

>I'm not fan of inflater/octo units. IMO just say NO.

Pete
[/QUOTE]

Check this out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom