Mixing Apeks XTX50 2nd with another brand 1st

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gaijinsan

Registered
Reaction score
I just picked up an Apeks reg set from someone leaving the hobby, it has 2 good 2nd stages, the primary is XTX50 and backup is XTX40, but the 1st stage is a DS4. I want to replace the DS4 1st stage because it lacks some features I want. I was looking at the Hollis DC1 because it seems to offer everything I want at a decent price point, but I wasn't sure if it's actually compatible out of the box. I was hoping someone knowing the technical specs of these regs could chime in about this combo. I can see that Apeks says their regs use an IP of 9-10 bar, I can see that Hollis specs for their 2nd stages are 9.5 bar +/- .5 bar and a maximum input pressure of 11 bar. It sounds to me like the Hollis DC1 should be fine, but wanna make sure before buying one.

Also, if there are other 1st stages that I should be looking at, I'd love to hear about other suggestions. My features that I want/need are:

2 HP ports
Swivel Turret
Balanced or Over-Balanced Diaphragm
Available as a 1st stage only
Compatible with my Apeks 2nd stages
Priced in the $150-200 range (approximately, I know the DC1 is a tad higher)

Would prefer environmentally sealed out of the box but not absolutely necessary.

Should work. Why not get an Apeks DST (XTX 50) 1st stage? Contact DRIS. It should be available on special order. For the price range, the HOG D1 would do nicely. I've personally tried the D1 with the XTX 2nd stage because the HOG classic 2nd was quite heavy.

Take as 1st stage quite whatever you want as long the specs have a similar static IP.
Since your XTX50 is balanced, it could work also slightly to moderate different IPs.:)

the taiwanese made copies of the apeks 1st stages are your best bet if you weren't looking to buy a matching DST. i think both the hog and hollis regs are in that category.

Should work. Why not get an Apeks DST (XTX 50) 1st stage? Contact DRIS. It should be available on special order. For the price range, the HOG D1 would do nicely. I've personally tried the D1 with the XTX 2nd stage because the HOG classic 2nd was quite heavy.

May just go that route with the Apeks DST, it has all the features I want as well. Oddly DRIS has a note on their page that it's for Public Safety purchases only, not recreational. Bit bizarre. Another site said Apeks doesn't let them export due to distribution agreements. Oh well, I can see plenty of them in Germany for sale so may order there. Looks like they are marking them up $100 more in Japan than other countries (typical of the SCUBA industry here), so probably why Apeks doesn't want overseas dealers exporting to here.

Another option is to look for a Zeagle 50D first stage. After the Huish take=over, the model has been discontinued. But,. it ios a long-time mainstay of the Zeagle line, and used, and some new, units are available on eBay. Very similar to the DST. I use both and find them equivalent.

I love Frankenregs... I have dove with many, and have never, ever had a problem. Just don't run a Poseidon second stage on just any old first stage without making allowances for it being an upstream regulator.

50d is a DST...

That said, the Hog D3 is much nicer than the D1, and I would avoid the Hollis DC1 just because of support. Dive Rite XT first would be another good option. XTX50's are balanced regs, so they don't really care what comes in as long as it is within a relatively wide range. Don't go above 150 and try not to go below about 130 and other than that, they don't really care.

Frankenregs are good, while mine are currently all Poseidons, that hasn't always been the case and may not always be the case. Poseidon Cyklons need a higher IP that most first stages can't deliver, so don't do that, and the Xstream/Jetstream need an OPV or Poseidon hoses or the Omni Swivel Poseidon adapters with OPV built in so you don't blow a hose up if IP creeps. They're all unbalanced so have to be adjusted to the IP being delivered to them.

the tech 50d is what zeagle called a rebadged tx50 (old DST design with 1/2 inch port and minus the heat exchanger). however after they stopped rebadging the tx50, zeagle made a similar reg themselves, the ZX 2nd and 50D first stage. the seat design is different in the 50D compared to the DST.

Found out Hollis doesn't have any real distributor in Japan anymore, so parts are a no go for the DS1. Seems they've taken a pretty firm attitude toward not providing parts outside their authorized retail technicians which is unfortunate. Also disappointing that they don't use the Oceanic distribution network outside the US, we most definitely have Oceanic widely available here.

Will look into the Zeagle 50d as well. I have seen plenty of Zeagle Rangers here but not sure if the regs are common.

Really tempted to go HOG because of the user friendly policy they have, but there are one or two threads around talking about corrosion in the 1st stage quite early in its life. That's a bit disturbing if true, but hard to say if it was user error or a particular group/individual trying to tarnish the name. They seem not to be very well received by certain LDS with their DIY friendly attitude.

Back
Top Bottom