Mixing and matching 1st and 2nd stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm relatively new to owning my own gear, so if this question has already been answered, I'm sorry, but I couldn't find where.

How easy is it to mix and match 1st and 2nd stages? I recently bought a full reg set and BCD. Due to the price, I got a set of second hand regs (Scubapro Mk2 with R190 second stages). They work perfectly well, but I've always been intrigued by the idea of side exhaust regs. What technical considerations do I need to take into account? Is it simply a case of hooking up a side exhaust 2nd stage to my current setup, or do I need to swap the 1st stage as well?

I only have a basic understanding of how 1st stages work (I'll look into it more after exams) so small words please :)

EDIT: Ok, so I post this, and a load of link to similar posts pop up! D'oh! Having scanned through these, I gather I need to make sure the intermediate pressure for both the first and second stages match up, but that mixing and matching brands is OK provided the pressures match. Do I have that right?

Yes plus extra characters because you can't just say yes on Scubaboard.

Oceanic Omega 3/Hollis 500se, no problem with your current first stage.

Poseidons, no problem with Jetstream/Xstream. Buy a OPV for cheap or use their branded hoses with them build in *I'd recommend not going for the second option btw*, and you're good to go. 5 minutes with a tech to lower the IP a bit or tune them to run on that IP and you're good to go.

Poseidon Cyklons, MAY not be a problem, but I'm not sure if the MK2 can handle the increased IP involved in the Cyklon for the long term. Might be chewing through parts kits every 6 months, but no experience with it.

All of that said, most regulators are cheaper to buy as sets with the first and second together, so you may have an easier go at finding a set of Poseidons and just using them. Frankly their first stages are worth getting, if anything because they offer infinitely better hose routing than the MK2.

Thanks for the replies :)

I was actually looking at the Omega 3 - I used one of the older versions a few years ago as part of a rental gear, and now that I dive more regularly and have a GoPro I was drawn to them again.

OPV = Over Pressure valve, right?

Herman does have a valid point on the double hose. The disadvantage to the side exhausts is they breathe differently when you roll. Not when you pitch which is nice, but when you roll and the diaphragm is up, they breathe with similar resistance to when you are on your back in a normal second stage. The Kraken is pretty badass as well and won't cost you much more than a new Omega 3, is also a much better regulator....

Well I recommend the Kraken as well especially for photo divers. However, I did just discover a failing. See, I got tricked into a baited, drift, blue water shark dive. So I was told the method to turn the shark was to make eye contact and if he was still coming hit the purge to scare him. Hmmmm, double hose regs have no purge and therefore I got to argue with a very, very large shark up close and personal as to ownership of my camera. It was nip and tuck but I won. I guess he had not been briefed on me, I do not let go of my camera, not for a shark, not for DMs in Cozumel, not for psychotic unstable Keys boat captains, nor anyone else until I have given them my briefing, lens up on the grey mat please and do not even think about the rinse tank.

Having owned and used several side exhaust regs, I am not as enthralled with them as I could be.

N

Well I recommend the Kraken as well especially for photo divers. However, I did just discover a failing. See, I got tricked into a baited, drift, blue water shark dive. So I was told the method to turn the shark was to make eye contact and if he was still coming hit the purge to scare him. Hmmmm, double hose regs have no purge and therefore I got to argue with a very, very large shark up close and personal as to ownership of my camera. It was nip and tuck but I won. I guess he had not been briefed on me, I do not let go of my camera, not for a shark, not for DMs in Cozumel, not for psychotic unstable Keys boat captains, nor anyone else until I have given them my briefing, lens up on the grey mat please and do not even think about the rinse tank.

Having owned and used several side exhaust regs, I am not as enthralled with them as I could be.

N

You don't have a purge button, but you could have taken the mouthpiece out of your mouth momentarily and you would have generated more than enough bubbles. It is just different.

You don't have a purge button, but you could have taken the mouthpiece out of your mouth momentarily and you would have generated more than enough bubbles. It is just different.

No, my hands were both on my camera grips. I was pulling this way, he was pulling the other way. :)

I could have used my octopus second as well. But why spoil the fun.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom