Mix Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scowens

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone know the formula for how much O2 to add to a tank to get to the desired Nitrox content? Maybe, I'm just dain bread this morning from too much turkey:11:

Thanks
Steve

Try Freebie Blender Program.

Other than that, I use a fairly unsophisticated method of estimating, calculating, re-estimating, re-calculating until I get within 1%. I discount Van der Walls forces as the gauges used in most shop are not accurate enough to worry over. :D

I use Nitrox Basic V. 1.3 on my PDA. It's freeware and simple to use as you just enter starting pressure and PO2 and the target pressure and desired PO2 and it will give the amount of 02 and air to add in PSI or BAR.

Using an accurate gauge on the 02, I have never had a problem getting within 1% on the first try as long as fill rates are kept suitably low.

The only significant limitation I have found is that you are limited to target pressures of 2250, 3000, 3300 and 3500 psi so some extrapolation is needed for 2400, 2475 and 2640 psi fills if you are an LP steel tank user.

The advantage of using a PDA based program is that it will always be around when you need it. And if you invest in an older tech monochrome PDA, a new PDA like a Palm 500 will cost you around $50.00 on e-bay, so it will not break your heart or bank account if it falls overboard.

I wrote an Excel-based gas blending program for starting with any mix of air, Oxygen, and Helium and ending up with a desired pressure and mix. Send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send it to you (don't know how to post it to the board).

scowens:
Anyone know the formula for how much O2 to add to a tank to get to the desired Nitrox content? Maybe, I'm just dain bread this morning from too much turkey:11:

Thanks
Steve

You will find the formula in the Gas Blending Text that came with your Nitrox Gas Blenders Certification course.

Thanks all, got what I was looking for!

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom