Missing Diver incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If a diver were given a wrist band upon exiting the boat and had to return it when returning would that help? bent

All you need to do is FOLLOW a proper roll call procedure (note: NOT a head count!) and there will be no problems.

The key is to FOLLOW the procedure.

If you're not willing to follow correct procedures, you can throw all the DAN tags wrist bands, etc. at the problem and you'll STILL leave divers in the water.

Let's not overcomplicate things, or worse yet legislate things, JUST FOLLOW A PROPER ROLLCALL PROCEDURE.

Roak

MikeFerrara:
I've done a little DMing but not with 30 people. Why not just go to the mall?

Hahahahahaa....that is a fact. So many of the boats out here I think have too many divers aboard to have a pleasant trip. Unfortunately I don't have any say in it. Dy

roakey:
All you need to do is FOLLOW a proper roll call procedure (note: NOT a head count!) and there will be no problems.

If you're not willing to follow correct procedures, you can throw all the DAN tags wrist bands, etc. at the problem and you'll STILL leave divers in the water.

Let's not overcomplicate things, or worse yet legislate things, JUST FOLLOW A PROPER ROLLCALL PROCEDURE.

Roak

Let me applaud that! BOTTOM LINE.....follow procedures....
We change things when the procedures don't work or have weak links. This procedure works.....the number of boats and divers here in So CAL is enormous compared to this one incident. And it is my opinion that the DM did not follow procedures, simple as that.

Also...let me add....having just returned from Chamber duty....as of today.....of the thousands of divers we have had this year....we have not had an incident where the Catalina Chamber was used for a diving accident. I believe the education and equiptment is getting better. THANK YOU to all those involved!

roakey:

Roak

Roak you have failed to recognize the primary issue: what implementation would protect passenger divers from a negligent D/M?

The USCG is thinking: bracelets.

Your suggestion does not solve any problems at all.

well, Roakey's point is that NOTHING, not even bracelets, can protect you from a
negligent DM.

why? because there was a procedure in place on that boat, that IF FOLLOWED
would have worked like a charm, no need for bracelents, thanks so much.

the problem is not with the procedure in place; the problem was that the procedure was not followed.

The Captain and DM are responsible.
Both get suspended until things get sorted out.
If the abandoned diver dies, they both get charged with MURDER.

That might sound a bit extreem but what will you think if it is YOU that is left floating in a big ocean? What if it was your wife or daughter, or son?

It is all about responsibility.

Install a circuit requiring the insertion of a 'divers key' into the slot before the boat can be started. It is the diver's responsiblity to take one before he/she enters the water and to return it when they are back on board. Boat doesn't start unless everyone is back.

In emergencies, the Capt and Cook could break open a USCG secret capsule with an override key.

Alternatively, you can do what I have begun to do....I take the Capt's wallet with me.

Remember, there are far too many fools in this world to make anything foolproof.

H2Andy:
well, Roakey's point is that NOTHING, not even bracelets, can protect you from a
negligent DM.

why? because there was a procedure in place on that boat, that IF FOLLOWED
would have worked like a charm, no need for bracelents, thanks so much.

the problem is not with the procedure in place; the problem was that the procedure was not followed.

Some procedures are better than others.

Bracelets are better than most.

Back
Top Bottom