Missing Diver incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. That policy may need revision.

dazedone:
From the Dive Shop that chartered the boat.

IndigoBlue:
I am wondering what the USCG's definition of "negligence" is.

Does that mean, the captain is supposed to review and supervise EVERYTHING himself?

No, but under international and maritime law the master of the vessel is ultimately responsible for everything to do with his ship. This is why when the captain says do it, you do it.
This is also true for aircraft as well. It's the captain's decision whether he will put to sea with a chartered DM and he had better know what that DM is about.

It's unfortunate for the DM and the captain that this incident happened to them, since the initial conditions of unfamiliar buddies in the 3-some combined with some kind of breakdown in the roll call or the head count process and they didn't notice a missing diver.

Diving with unfamiliar buddies is taking a risk to start with. You don't know their skill level and they don't know yours. This can lead to problems when things don't go exactly right, as this case demonstrates.

dazedone:
CG interviewed everyone on the boat. I wouldn't expect to see the report for a couple of weeks.

Where is the full text of your "excerpt" from the SoCal? I can't find it on here.

Seadeuce:
The boat was anchored.
Seadeuce

I don't know if this is an operating oil rig. I often dive at Eureka and Ellen rigs (off Long Beach, SoCal) and they are operational. If it is, anchoring is NOT allowed (pipelines). The bottom is 450 feet.

Seadeuce:
Why did he not take a compass bearing, descend 10 to 15 feet, and fin towards the boat for ten minutes? Upon re-surfacing he would have been nearer, and probably would have caught their attention.
Seadeuce

If it's an operating oil rig, compass is useless cos the magnatic field from the rig will interfere with your compass.

The general procedure for diving at operating rigs is:
1. Our boat will stop at only one particular side of the rig which is designated by the rig operator. The other sides are utilized by the rigs and their boats may come in at any time. The diving communition will get a ticket if we violate the rules. Our boat is not allowed to achore.
2. Everybody jumps in. No descend line.
3. The boat moves away from the rig.
4. Divers descend and stay inside the platform.
5. Divers ascend where they were dropped off.
6. If lost, ascend in the middle of the rig and swim just outside the rig where they were dropped off.
7. The boat will come to pick up you.
8. The bouy is deployed when it gets rough.

I hope that this incidient would not make the rig operator stop allowing us to dive there again.

I attached pictures to show how wonderful the rigs are, when the condition is good. These pictures are taken from Eureka and Ellen rigs.

I dove there in December 2003, the condition is calm, the visibility was 50 feet.

I dove there again March 2004, the condition was really poor and the current was pretty bad. At least it wasn't foggy and I stayed inside. When I came up, I hold on to the rig structure. Technically I am not supposed to touch the rig at all.

For those who think you can swim 400 feet in a strong current at the rigs, be my guess. Three rigs (Eureka, Ellen and Elly) are not far from one another. They stand 450 feet from the bottom. It's literally in the middle of nowhere in the ocean. It can be severe.

Divers have to stay inside the platform. If divers are pushed away from the structure, forget it. You might as well be in the middle of ocean alone.

Sorry I am so late in this....but I just had to add....
What CG person ever DM'd a boat? What basis would they use to say that using tag is a practical idea? Again...I thought about the use of tags long before DAN came up with the idea....and I still like it....but I would bet it would be dropped in the first year. I have heard that some boats in Australia tried them....anyone else heard that? I would like to hear from some people who actually DM boats with 30+ on the boat and OW classes etc....

sirensmyst:
Sorry I am so late in this....but I just had to add....
What CG person ever DM'd a boat? What basis would they use to say that using tag is a practical idea? Again...I thought about the use of tags long before DAN came up with the idea....and I still like it....but I would bet it would be dropped in the first year. I have heard that some boats in Australia tried them....anyone else heard that? I would like to hear from some people who actually DM boats with 30+ on the boat and OW classes etc....

I've done a little DMing but not with 30 people. Why not just go to the mall?

Back
Top Bottom