Missing Diver incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about counting tanks. Depending on the setup (for example a liveaboard), there will be a set number of tanks. Tanks don't call out other peoples names and they certainly can't sign for another person. This works really well. For a day boat, one either always carries the same number of tanks or better be sure they have a set number of tanks per person on the manifest. You certainly don't leave till all the tanks are accounted for. The roster can be used in addition to this method.

DennisW:
Counting heads doesn't work, counting buddy teams is worse. There are only a couple of sure fire ways to make sure you don't leave anyone. 1) I like the sign the roster rule. 2) A real roll call where each person has to answer for him/her self. Anything else is just asking for a disaster.

I remember a trip where we (a bunch of Diverlinkers) insisted on a roll call to the point where we did the roll call ourselves and the DM got pissed. He also didn't get many tips. I believe it was Walter that actually made the roll calls and I think it was on the D/L 1999 trip.

saf_25:
Sounds like you made a good call to me - better to trust your instincts and just not do a dive, then to get in the water to realize that you shouldn't be there. Especially in light of what ended up happening to the other guy on that dive...

On a side note, does anyone know how this incident is going to affect the rig's position on having divers in the future? I would think that this would be another big strike against divers on them, and given that we already had to work so hard to be allowed on the rigs, do you know if they'll still let us dive them?

No idea. I know that the CG is thinking about having a sit-down with the Shop, Boat Crew and all the divers on the boat. That would be a good question to bring up. I was actually interviewed by the CG last week. They said the incident report would be completed this week and would be available to the public via a FOI Act request. Should be an interesting read...

Dan Gibson:
How about counting tanks. Depending on the setup (for example a liveaboard), there will be a set number of tanks. Tanks don't call out other peoples names and they certainly can't sign for another person. This works really well. For a day boat, one either always carries the same number of tanks or better be sure they have a set number of tanks per person on the manifest. You certainly don't leave till all the tanks are accounted for. The roster can be used in addition to this method.

Wouldn't have worked on this particular boat. The boat supplies AL80's and many of us (myself included) brings their own tanks. The crew did count BC's after the roll call where the diver was unaccounted for, but it was soon realized that would be fruitless since some may have already packed up their gear.

Little side note.....I signed up to do a rig with a different boat a couple months that was going to take place yesterday (sunday, May 1st). We were informed when reached the boat that the oil rigs have been closed to diving. I hope this is not a permanent decision, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I've ditched a couple of dives lately. Once once when the water was JTFC (Just Too ******* Cold) - there was still ice on the lake, and once when the Weather Report was warning people to stay indoors because of hail and lightning.

Blowing off a dive is only annoying/embarrassing for a couple of minutes, and there's always The Next Dive. Besides, it makes my wife happy when I avoid things that might kill me.

Terry

dazedone:
Do you ever go out to a dive site and your 6th sense is telling you not to do this dive? That is what happened.
The fog made it extra dark under the rig and the current was pretty strong. Being a beginner diver (25 or so dives), I felt that this dive was a little to advanced given my experience level. Plus I hate surface swims, especially ones against a strong current. I'll do them when I have to but I dive for fun, not a workout. I'll do the workout stuff on the treadmill.
:14: :14:

dazedone:
Here is an excerpt from my dive report on the SoCal board. Live and learn, or better yet, learn and LIVE.

...Got back on the boat, the DM did a roll call and one of the divers was missing. due to the fog, visiblity was about 500 feet. Boat captain called the CG and a search ensued. Could not find him anywhere. Divers were sent down to survey the wreck, he was not there. Turns out the DM screwed up the roll call and we left him back at the last site! Scary part is the DM slate had him out of the water at the last site and back in the water at the next site! Apparently he got separated from his 3some, the other 2 in the 3some assumed he had his own buddy so they did not notice him missing. He drifted for 4 hours and ended 3 miles away from the last site where a sailboat happened upon him and pulled him out. The Coast Guard was not too thrilled with the DM. At least the diver made it out alive. What a mess.

This dive shop is going to have to heavily revise it's DM policy. The DM and the shop owner are going to have to sit me down and explain to me what corrective action has taken place before I will book another trip with them. This shop does 50+ charters a year and has never had an incident like this before.

I am not going to reveal who this DM is as he is a very cool guy and a fantastic instructor. We all make mistakes and have bad days, but on the other hand, this diver could have died. Thank God this diver stayed calm, didn't panic and did all the right things (I'm not sure I would have been able to remain that calm floating around in the fog with ships passing around) Also, this DM was not the only person DM'ing that day. In my opinion, there were breakdowns in alot of areas but I do not have all the facts. I can only report what I saw and I did not see everything.

Lesson learned: make sure the person who you think is your buddy thinks the same as you. Review buddy procedures and make sure your DM is taking his job very seriously!

Where is the full text of this report? On another board? Can you post the URL to it? Did the Coast Guard interview you?

Saw your pictures of the rig in the fog, you were wise to pass on that dive. I'm sure the surface conditions were fine but this incident shows how conditions can contribute to what could have been a tragedy.

Pixelated:
Where is the full text of this report? On another board? Can you post the URL to it? Did the Coast Guard interview you?

Saw your pictures of the rig in the fog, you were wise to pass on that dive. I'm sure the surface conditions were fine but this incident shows how conditions can contribute to what could have been a tragedy.

CG interviewed everyone on the boat. I wouldn't expect to see the report for a couple of weeks.

Just to clarify, was the DM from the charter, or from the Dive shop?

dazedone:
CG interviewed everyone on the boat. I wouldn't expect to see the report for a couple of weeks.

I am wondering what the USCG's definition of "negligence" is.

Does that mean, the captain is supposed to review and supervise EVERYTHING himself?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom