Missing Diver incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
give me a link to a source that says the scouts heard him
first?

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2004/04/30/news/top_stories/23_00_274_29_04.txt

News: Top Stories

Last modified Thursday, April 29, 2004 11:35 PM PDT

Local Boy Scouts in the spotlight after diver's rescue

By: ADRIENNE AQUIRRE and ANDREA MOSS - Staff Writers

SAN DIEGO ---- Some local Boy Scouts knew they were in for an adventure when they headed to sea on a 100-year-old sailing vessel last weekend, but they had no idea the trip would turn them into celebrities.

Members of Rancho Bernardo Boy Scout Troop 681 found themselves in the spotlight after they participated in Sunday's rescue of a scuba diver found floating at least 7 miles off the coast of Newport Beach.

The boys and their parents have spent the days since the incident fielding a bevy of phone calls and interview requests from the media. The story went national Wednesday, and some of the boys and their parents told their tale on such network shows as "Good Morning America" and "NBC Today" the next day.

Many of the scouts say they are enjoying the temporary spotlight brought on by their good deed.

They are surprisingly modest, though, about their role in probably saving diver Dan Carlock's life.

"We're the Boy Scouts," said Scout Dan Carroll, 14. "We're meant to help people."

The boys had little clue what they were in for when 20 representatives of their troop ---- including 15 scouts and five of their parents ---- climbed aboard the tall ship "Argus" Saturday morning for a two-day journey designed to train the boys to sail the vessel and learn teamwork and leadership skills.

The "Argus" was manned by half a dozen older Sea Scouts who played mentor to their younger counterparts as the ship set course for Catalina Island.

The boys spent a busy first day learning to do such things as raise the ship's giant sails and participating in emergency drills ---- including one "man overboard" call.

Their return trip Sunday morning got under way in heavy fog. Visibility was still at about a half-mile when Rancho Bernardo teen Craig Tracy, 17, stood at the helm with Sea Scout Zach Mayberry around noon. Thinking he spotted someone in the water, Mayberry asked Craig to confirm the sighting.

"I heard him scream for help," Craig said Thursday of the diver. "No one believed it was a person, so I got out the binoculars to show them."

The boys responded as they had been taught the day before, working together to keep their eyes on the bobbing man's location and helping to launch a rubber dinghy that plucked the man out of the water.

When Carlock, who lives in Santa Monica, was pulled aboard the "Argus," he told the group he had been floating for about five hours after being left behind in the water by a dive boat that had moved on to a second dive site several miles away.

The boat's dive master eventually realized he was missing a participant and radioed the Coast Guard, which launched a search for the missing man.

Rancho Bernardo Scout Tim Carroll, 17, warmed Carlock with towels once he was aboard the "Argus."

"He looked pretty overjoyed that we came to his rescue," Tim said. "And he looked pretty cold .... But he was in very good spirits despite his condition."

Other scouts said the diver, who noted he was once a Boy Scout, thanked them over and over for rescuing him.

Attempts to reach Carlock on Thursday were unsuccessful. Coast Guard spokesman Louie Hererg said the diver was fine and needed no hospitalization after his ordeal.

The Coast Guard is conducting an investigation into why Carlock's dive boat left him behind.

The Los Angeles District Attorney's office has decided not to prosecute anyone in connection with the incident, making it a civil matter, Hererg said.

Members of Boy Scout Troop 681 said they have had no contact with Carlock since he was transferred from the "Argus" to a Coast Guard vessel.

Troop member Kris Sewell, whose Navy corpsman father Kelly checked the diver out after he was first pulled from the water, said the scouts didn't really realize the significance of what they had done until word of the rescue got out and the media began calling.

"I think it was maybe a little shock or something," said Kris, 16. "But when you think about it, we saved the guy's life because he could have drifted away."

Fellow Scout Philip Beckman, who at 13 was the youngest aboard the "Argus" during the rescue, said it taught him a valuable lesson.

"I learned that you have to be prepared for anything and everything that could happen," said the Bernardo Heights Middle School student. "And no matter what, you can't expect everything that's going to happen, and you have to be ready to put your skills to the test."

Troop member Dan Carroll, 14, said he looked at himself differently after the incident.

"I was proud of myself," he said. "I felt like I accomplished something. It's not every day that you get to rescue someone."

hhhhmmm...... yup i see where they say they heard him scream for help, but it
sounds like they had already seen him...

anyone know for sure if he was spotted first or heard first?

From the OC Register I THINK 4/29: (was cut & pasted earler in this post)
Mayberry thought he noticed a balloon or debris floating in the sea. He grabbed his binoculars to take a closer look. About 150 yards away, Carlock's head was sticking out of the water, and he was waving a bright, yellow-green tube.

Mayberry handed the binoculars to a friend.

"I wanted to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me," Mayberry said.

The friend confirmed it.

"Man overboard!" they yelled.

_________

That makes me think the Boy Scout SAW the diver first.

dazedone:
Seadeuce,

The boat was not anchored. You are not allowed to anchor or tie up near that rig. He put the divers in the water and they swam about 100 feet to the rig. The Captain gave firm instructions to stay under the rig after the dive until you made visual contact with the boat and the boat signalled to you that it was OK to apporach (since he would have to position the boat and disengage the props).

I was wondering what instructions were given in the dive briefing. This seems pretty standard.

kelpmermaid:
I was wondering what instructions were given in the dive briefing. This seems pretty standard.

I was not on the boat on the day the diver was left behind, but I was on this boat, with this captain, diving the same oil rig site about a month ago. These instructions were indeed the ones given by the captain on the particular trip I was on.

H2Andy:
hhhhmmm...... yup i see where they say they heard him scream for help, but it
sounds like they had already seen him...

anyone know for sure if he was spotted first or heard first?

Give it up Andy youre wasting bandwidth now.

Granted that waving your fin would be detected the furthest away, with a blast from a small power horn possibly in second place, and visual contact with a safety sausage somewhere in third, well over voice communication.

But voice communication in this case was in fact better than nothing.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Statement concerning Dan Carlock ........................

Event of April 25, 2004 .....

Rescue of Dan Carlock, April 25
Venice, CA - April 30, 2004 - There has been extensive media coverage about the rescue of Dan Carlock on Sunday, April 25, 2004. We are sorry that Dan suffered through this ordeal and thankful that he was rescued. All of us at Ocean Adventures are extremely grateful to San Diego Boy Scout Troop 681 and the Orange County Sea Scouts for spotting Dan and bringing him to safety. Dan did all the right things to help secure his rescue once he became separated from the group. The Coast Guard responded immediately when we reported Dan missing and joined in on the search initiated by the Sundiver. We have been working closely with the Coast Guard, our dive masters, PADI, and other members of the dive community since Sunday to gather the facts and prevent an incident like this from occurring again. How did one of our divers get left behind? What lessons can be learned? What can we do to prevent something of this nature from happening again? These are some of the questions we have been asking ourselves as we respond to the deluge of media inquiries and questions from divers.

The following are some of the initial facts we wanted to share with you. Ocean Adventures Dive Company chartered the Sundiver for an oilrig dive on April 25. We had 22 divers on board with three dive masters. Dan had trouble equalizing and became separated from his dive buddy, surfacing away from the group and the oilrig. At the end of the dive, Dan's dive buddy did not report that they had become separated and that Dan had not returned from the dive. The dive master called roll and heard everyone answer at the end of the first dive, a visual verification was not done. When roll was again called after the second dive, Dan was unaccounted for. The boat captain was notified and a search was initiated immediately. The Coast Guard was also immediately notified to assist with the search and rescue and to alert boat traffic to keep a look out for our missing diver.

We are taking this very seriously; we are giving it the full attention it deserves. We are closely examining our existing procedures, the guidelines recommended by PADI and those utilized by other dive shops. We will strengthen the procedures we utilize to prevent an incident like this from happening again. Two members of Ocean Adventures staff have been suspended from dive master responsibilities. We have reviewed procedures with OADC dive masters that will be on dives this weekend and have stressed the need for a visual as well as audio check in during roll call. We are reviewing and revising our procedures and going beyond recommended guidelines as needed to assure the safety of individuals diving with us.

We greatly appreciate the suggestions provided by many concerned divers, for Dan's willingness to continue to work with us and for the support we have received from the diving community to date. We remain open to suggestions to always improve the service we provide and to enhancing safety procedures.

About Ocean Adventures Dive Co.
Ocean Adventures' mission is to introduce people to diving, help them participate in this sport by providing the necessary training, certification and equipment in a supportive setting. Through diving, people will be taught about the aquatic environment and how we, as divers, can be stewards to it.

Company Website: http://www.oceanadventuresdiveco.com

Ocean Adventures Dive Co. Contact:
Steve Ladd
Owner
email: steve@oceanadventuresdiveco.com
voice: 310-578-9391

Well it could have easily been any one of us, who was the boat captain that day, or who was the D/M that handled the roll.

It is good for each of us to remember that if the USCG ever must get involved, they are going to be direct and to the point and pull no punches, because that is their job. I am sure each of us has reflected on our own buddy or D/M or instructor responsibilities, and whether we do a good job or not. Diving is fun, and it always should be, and we have to live up to the expectations that others have of us. I think we are all better aware of those responsibilities, after all this.

In the aftermath, the USCG and the scuba store are taking those steps that they must.

Thanks to all who have posted the various updates and news stories.

Everybody in LA is media savy it seems - a Friday night press release. Nice. Even on SB it took an hour to get a response.

RE: Roakey post #30(pg3) and alarity47 post #31(pg4) this thread

alaity47:
Interesting... we had a completely opposite experience from yours on this particular boat last year.

Regarding post #30 & #31:

FIRST: Truth Aquatics was NOT involved in the accident being discussed here today in this thread.
Another boat, Sundiver and a different dive operation, Ocean Adventures Dive Co. of Marina del Rey,must endure this mishap.

Tuesday, Coast Guard officials were investigating why Carlock was found 11 miles from the dive location where Ocean Adventures Dive Co. of Marina del Rey reported him missing - and near the spot where the group had dived earlier in the day (on the vessel Sundiver).

I frequently dive the Truth Aquatics operation. IMHO I very much like Truth Aquatics. I don't know as if TA is so much "laid back" as being very realistic that the responsibility for any given dive rests squarely on the shoulders of the diver. Unlike on many boats, divers on TA necessarily must self-plan and execute their dives. Most of TA trips are therefore IMHO advanced diving. The sites are advanced. The ocean at the sites can change within a single dive. Most dives involve current; all dives surge; all dives usually with fairly limited vis 30-50 fuzzy feet.

And during topside briefing, describing bottom topography so rich and varied as a dive site in Channel Islands, Calif can never satisfy most divers - you just must accept being an explorer on an expidition in an inhospitable environment. Like Lewis & Clark - don't get lost, dont break your leg, and a whole lot of do's and don't garnered by hundreds if not a thousand dives. 50, 75, 100 dives IMHO doesn't make one "experienced" and certainly even if you have "skills" they only have limited applicability if you personnally have never dived the site before.

How did this unfortunate diver lose himself on this dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom