Missing Diver in Monterey - Breakwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just saw this on the news as the search is being called off. Missing since Sunday afternoon (6-17-2013). Family notified authorities, so either no buddy or they are not aware of one.

KSBW News

KION News

I just saw this too. Part of me still doesn't understand how Breakwater manages to claim so many...

Sunday was rather calm, no?

Part of me still doesn't understand how Breakwater manages to claim so many...

Sunday was rather calm, no?

We dove Sunday morning off our boat. Conditions were relatively mild but there was some wind chop. The Breakwater attracts a lot of infrequent divers, inexperienced divers, warm water divers with limited experience in cold water/low vis. Lots of things can happen underwater. Previous Breakwater victims have been snagged in kelp and inexperienced in dealing with it. Night dives in low vis can be risky, especially done solo. Although vis had improved a lot in the last week or so, any dive in the Breakwater in summer conditions could be considered solo if you find yourself more that 6 feet from your buddy. People forget to look at their gauges, run out of air, panic and bolt for the surface, spit out their regs under water to gasp for air. Who can say?

Probably won't learn any more until and unless the diver is found. Breakwater divers keep your eyes pealed, recovery of the body provides a huge comfort/closure to the family.

Probably won't learn any more until and unless the diver is found. Breakwater divers keep your eyes pealed, recovery of the body provides a huge comfort/closure to the family.

Somebody recovered the body Friday 6/14/13 at the breakwater during a rescue class. The body was ucovered and in full gear on the beach for about an hour and a half while the Monterey police stood around.

I just saw this on the news as the search is being called off. Missing since Sunday afternoon (6-17-2013).

Somebody recovered the body Friday 6/14/13 at the breakwater during a rescue class.
So is there more than one missing diver at the breakwater?

Let me dispel some mis-information here, as I was at the water's edge when two kayakers and divers bring the body back. The man wore a Henderson wetsuit with blue Scubapro Twinjet Fins (split fin type). He had his mask on his face, which was flooded. The liquid in the mask was crimson red. By my estimation, he was about six feet tall and heavy set. Although he still wore his hood, I could see a beard and mustache. The four men that brought him to shore had difficulty lifting him. I do not know if had scuba gear (bcd/regulator), when they reached him at the surface. However, I did not see any scuba gear as they lifted him out of the water and placed him on the sand. One of the divers stated that rigor mortis had set in and indeed, the body appeared quite stiff.

The body was recovered today 06/21 in the late morning, not 06/14.

My condolences goes to his family and friend who must now bare the burden of his passing.

The KSBW News link in post #1 now goes to an updated story saying: "A diver who went missing in the Monerey Bay in Breakwater Cove Sunday was found dead by two kayakers on Friday" and more.

This one questions that claim, says he was found by divers, and "he was in diving gear, minus his tanks."
Body found off Monterey's San Carlos Beach - MontereyHerald.com :
The Monterey County Coroner's Office has been called to San Carlos Beach to retrieve a drowning victim who may be the diver reported missing Sunday night.
Contrary to television reports, Monterey police Lt. Leslie Sonné said a positive ID had not yet been made, though it is presumed the man is the missing diver.
"To be honest, I don't know how anybody would be able to make an ID that quickly. I don't know the condition of the body," said Sonne, who had just spoken with a sergeant at the scene who reported the coroner had just arrived.
The drowning victim was discovered by other divers floating in a kelp bed about 30 yards off shore Friday morning. Sonne said he was in diving gear, minus his tanks.
The family of a Marin County man reported him missing Sunday night. Police found his car parked at San Carlos Beach and his flashlight underwater, but could not locate him and called off the search Monday

His bcd/weights/tank(s) were not recovered with him. If you happen to locate them they should be turned over to the police/coroner for examination. Note the condition (open/closed, PSI, etc.) but don't adjust anything.

-B

The KSBW News link in post #1 now goes to an updated story saying: "A diver who went missing in the Monerey Bay in Breakwater Cove Sunday was found dead by two kayakers on Friday" and more.

This one questions that claim, says he was found by divers, and "he was in diving gear, minus his tanks."
Body found off Monterey's San Carlos Beach - MontereyHerald.com :

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom