Missing diver found dead Monterey Ca 6/29/22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Male diver in his 30s in Monterey" fits me pretty close, so I got a call from my mom when she saw this on the news yesterday; she was happy to hear my voice. The diver has not yet been publicly identified. He was diving with a buddy who reported him missing after they had become separated.

Several local divers participated in the search, including Keith Rootsaert, MaryJo and others aboard the Beach Hopper II. I believe they had been doing an urchin cull over on Tanker's Reef, and then came to the Breakwater to assist. There were also a few FD boats, a jet ski, a helicopter, and folks with binoculars on the shore. Randall Spangler, a local instructor who was diving for fun that day, found the body. The body was located in the sand near the breakwater wall, between the 7 marker and 8 marker, in 44 fsw. With diver's body and gear recovered, hopefully more can be learned about what happened.

I was not there, just relaying facts I have read from people who were there, which were posted in a local FB dive group.

I don't know who the diver was, but my heart goes out to his family and loved ones, what a tragedy.

SAN CARLOS, Calif. —
The man who died while diving off of San Carlos Beach has been identified.

The diver was Andy Nieto, 33, from Morgan Hill, the Monterey County Coroner's Office reported.

According to the Monterey Fire Department, Nieto went missing off of San Carlos Beach in Monterey around 12 p.m. on Wednesday. He was pulled out of the water around 3 p.m.

Coast Guard, Monterey police, and state parks all took part in the search.

Back
Top Bottom