Diver drowned at The Breakwater / San Carlos Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very said to hear. It is where I got certified for OW. Someone actually kind of close enough to me was lost at this location before. It was the BF of one of my warm water (south east asia) diving buddy. I didn't know her BF well because we didn't hang out much out side of diving. That accident changed her. I don't think she dives anymore after that. Very said.

I spent some time reviewing the Dan 2020 Annual Report. It is instructive to note that Monterey county as a whole is the fifth highest in the country in terms of fatalities over a ten year period (Page 13). Even so, the mean is 2 per year, which is a low number. The numbers as a whole are skewed heavily towards males (Page 15), with 50-59 being the highest bracket, followed by 60-69. While cause of death is often confounded, cardiac events are still a leader (Page 21).
I say all this not because I have special knowledge about the diver in question, I don't know. I am merely stating this to point out that it is to me entirely possible for fatalities to occur even at Breakwater, which is fairly protected and a place where most of us cut our teeth taking classes.

Damn, I'm in the highest bracket.

Thanks for that info. I'm still going through it but very enlightening. I have never reviewed such document.

Highly encourage others to review as well, particularly the case studies. A few new thoughts while confirming some others.

Put older males who are out of shape, with a propensity for heart disease, in a stressful situation (for a new diver), cold water, low visibilty, with greater than usual physical exertion and the bare minimum training on self rescue. What could go wrong?

As it turns out I know some of the persons involved and based off of their descriptions of the incident this sounds a lot like it was a medical issue.

I’m not going to go any further down the speculation path without facts.

Any more shocking than someone who drowns in a swimming pool? That is even more benign conditions. Yet it still happens all the time.
That's not a very good comparison at all. People die in swimming pools for completely different reasons. Most of the deaths are children who can't swim. A lot of people die because they hit their head on the bottom. People die because they are too intoxicated or on drugs and decide to swim alone. I've never read of someone going swimming in a pool who was never seen again. And finally, this is a SCUBA board, not a general accidents board.

Very said to hear. It is where I got certified for OW. Someone actually kind of close enough to me was lost at this location before. It was the BF of one of my warm water (south east asia) diving buddy. I didn't know her BF well because we didn't hang out much out side of diving. That accident changed her. I don't think she dives anymore after that. Very said.

Hi there,

I’m a family friend of the man who passed away in August at Breakwater, and I saw this post.

As far as we can tell, there wasn’t an underlying medical condition, and his wife and two sons are really trying to get some answers as to what might have happened. Are you still close to your diving buddy, or would be you willing to talk to them? They’d really like to speak to someone that understands what might have happened, if for no other reason than to get some closure. Or perhaps you know of any support groups for people in similar positions?

If you are open to helping them out, you can contact me at 206-941-2533 and I can put you in touch.

Thank you so much,

Richard Dunn

Hi there,

I’m a family friend of the man who passed away in August at Breakwater, and I saw this post.

As far as we can tell, there wasn’t an underlying medical condition, and his wife and two sons are really trying to get some answers as to what might have happened. Are you still close to your diving buddy, or would be you willing to talk to them? They’d really like to speak to someone that understands what might have happened, if for no other reason than to get some closure. Or perhaps you know of any support groups for people in similar positions?

If you are open to helping them out, you can contact me at 206-941-2533 and I can put you in touch.

Thank you so much,

Richard Dunn
Is there an autopsy report?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom