Mine LaMotte Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stingray1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
A special thanks to Fleep is in order. He was the only one to show to help ResQDiver and I on the clean up effort. The three of us removed two 1 ton stones from the channel going into the mines from across the lagoon. The channel is now about 3 1/2 feet deep or so and about 4 to 5 ft wide. More work is needed to increase the depth of the channel. Work is still needed on cleaning up the junk that has found it way into the mines and in the open areas. Surface markers are still needing to be placed on any mining equipment found in the open areas. And a large amount of rope with evenly spaced bouys is needed to rope off an area in front of the mine entrances for divers only. This distance out away from the mines will be in the neiborhood of 150 ft possibly more. We will be having another clean up dive shortly. ReQDiver or I will post it as soon as we decide on another good day.
Again many thanks to Fleep for coming out and giving us a hand.

FLEEP!!!!!>.. You ROCK!!!!
Another thanks goes to fleep for letting be borrow is car to enjoy the tractor parade!!!
Should of been there.. 5 ... no Im sorry .. 9 tractors whoohoooo

Another thanks to FLEEP for loaning me his car to enjoy the massive 5 no wait 9 tractor parade. FLEEP you rock!!
Cya soon

Please keep up posted on when you want to go back down there. I am interested in helping out anyway that I can... If you guys ever want to do anything during the week let me know. I can usually get out of work on a Wed or Thurs. I just need a little notice. I do not know how much help I can be but I will do what I can.

Phil

Sorry that Bill and I were not with you. We both had class this weekend, teaching the unteachable. We are both serious about working with you all to make this a coll dive area. Lets get a date set in stone for another clean up. Anybody who agrees, then backs out gets caned. :)

Please include me as well on any future efforts. It would be nice to have a good location so close to St. Louis. Perhaps we can recyle all the cans on the bottom to get some seed money to add some ammenities.:)

WHOOHOO!!!... and the hits keep on comming!!... Thanks to everyone we will keep you all posted. This weekend I myself have a wedding in StL. SO Im not able to dive. Next is a possiblity. Thanks for the help and talk to yall soon.

Thanks to ResQDiver and StingRay for showing me a great time. Sorry for the delayed trip report-busy as usual. Great doesn’t do it justice-it was one of the most unique days of diving I have ever had! I would dive with these guys anytime, they both have significant professional diving experience and great attitudes-I hope to learn a lot diving with them.

After clearing tons (and tons) of landslide rubble that had blocked the swamp entrance arch (see pic) we had a deep enough channel to swim through with our gear. From the swamp entrance you enter huge underground zones where you can surface swim/snorkel all the way to the main quarry, dive around in the open-water cavern zone under the arches or-if you are properly trained and so inclined-you can enter the cave zones of the mine where there is no access to surface air. We restricted ourselves to the cavern zones and the quarry… We saw some old mining equipment (pick axe/drill bits stuck in rock/steam pipes) everywhere in the cavern zone. StingRay found an albino cave catfish! In the open quarry we checked out lots of fish, neat walls and long grasses while we sifted through the discarded beer cans filling our pockets with knock-off sunglasses, cheap costume jewelry, collapsible chairs and whatever else the drunk cliffjumpers threw into the drink.

We are lucky to have this in our backyard. I haven’t even begun to scratch the surface there and I will be heading back often-hopefully with the same crew. I know BSigmund will love the swamp entrance compared to the crap we climbed through to get in the quarry. There is SO much more there to explore I can't wait to go back...

Thanks Again ResQDiver and StingRay…too bad more ppl didn’t show up, but having the place to completely to ourselves the entire day was perfect. Hope to dive with you guys soon.

Whoooot!

p.s.
Surface Temp: 72
Bottom Temp: ~60 (in the cavern zone)
Vis: 15'-25'
No Detectable Current...

(< - - - - - -

Attachments

• WallSmall.jpg
    WallSmall.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 85
  • SwampEntranceSmall.jpg